Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > beer-ed out...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
roymullins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default beer-ed out...?

Not really beered out- not sure that is possible- but somewhat overwhelmed by the micro-brew market... it seems like they are all becoming the same- they are all trying to out-IPA each other- more malt, more hops, higher ABV%... I am ever searching for a nice smooth, mellow, not to highly carbonated, not to strong, basic brown ale... few micros make this beer anymore... they all want to jack up everything... nothing wrong with an occassional well-made IPA, Imperial Stout or Barleywine but for kicking back to watch the game or having a few with the fellas- a nice session ale is all I need... I continue to try and perfect the perfect brown ale in my own homebrew but would like to find it on a shelf once in a while as well...

Go 'Hawks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Brewshock
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If you ever come near Healdsburg, Ca You gotta try Pete's Brown Ale from Bear Republic. Probably the best Brown I've ever had.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
GritCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just had the same conversation with the SWMBO today. We went on a south sound taproom tour and everything was 6.5% and above. There's nothing wrong with that but a nice session ale would be would great so we could visit more than one brewery in a day.

Go Hawks!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Stocktonbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Agree. I see mostly IPAs when I go to bev mo. I just brewed a full sail amber ale type clone. Malty and well balanced on the hops with 5.4%ABV. I like the balance.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I think it's cyclic. I get heavier stouts this time of year, coming up to the wheat beer season, next the ambers, then the IPA, followed by the Brown season. I think it's nice that Hopslam is released at this time, of year. It's a refreshing break. Maybe they only stock the most popular style in your area and you are drinking old IPA.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Good thing you know how to brew

I've pretty much given up on buying craft beer except the occasional Sierra Nevada seasonal or pale ale 12 packs. Everything is too boozy, extreme, not fresh or downright expensive, craft prices have just about tripled in 10 years, the value just isn't there. I do still like hitting brewpubs though.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
Good thing you know how to brew

I've pretty much given up on buying craft beer except the occasional Sierra Nevada seasonal or pale ale 12 packs. Everything is too boozy, extreme, not fresh or downright expensive, craft prices have just about tripled in 10 years, the value just isn't there. I do still like hitting brewpubs though.
I'm with you. In the past year, most of my purchases have been from nearby craft breweries who are all just getting in to the market. More reasonably priced and I'm supporting local. As much as I love Bell's THA, for example, I'm not paying $11 when I can brew my own clone. A few years ago, that was $7/6pk.

Quick Reply