Wort Chiller Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottieo2

Reaction score
I am debating what length of wort chiller I should get. Is it worth the extra money to get a longer length coil? I do partial boils now but will be transitioning to full boils pretty soon.

I am debating what length of wort chiller I should get. Is it worth the extra money to get a longer length coil? I do partial boils now but will be transitioning to full boils pretty soon.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm currently debating the same issue.

I have a 25ft 3/8 ID coil and can get my 5 gallons of wort down to pitching in less than 1/2 hour, using tap water for the first 10-15 minutes and switching to a pond pump in cooler filled with ice water for the rest.

50 feet would probably bring that down to 15-20 minutes. So its really whether that extra time is worth it. Plus you have to see whether you might at some point step up to 10 gallon. Then I would say that 25 is out of the question.

Get the longer length now. The price of copper isn't going down, so if you actually plan to upgrade eventually, you'll be glad to have spent less now.

Latest posts

Back