worried about carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeCollegeStudent

Reaction score
Ok, so i threw some brew in bottles the other day.. 10 days ago, and there is a lot of carbonation. Like 2-3 inches head on top. doing a nice pour, not a smash in the glass pour. But i followed the recipe for 3/4 cup for 5 gallons of brew for corn sugar.

Anyway, just wondering if these things are going to start being tasty grenades or not. WHat do you guys think??

Could be the glasses?
I only rinse mine with hot water. NO soap. I have some beers that give big head when I pour them - just a little bit more active than I would have liked but they have been in the bottle for about a year now and didn't go Kahboomity.

Did you take any gravity readings?

You should check if there is a ring around the inside of the neck of the bottle; this could mean that your sanitization was not proper and bacteria has cultured in your beer.

I dont think you have to worry about them being bottle bombs. I once WAY overcarbonated a batch, so much so that when you opened a bottle, foam would go shooting out the top like a bottle of champagne...and not one exploded. With the strength of today's bottles, I think you have to have drastic over carbonation to have one explode.

P.S. that should be a lesson to anyone just getting started with homebrew...make sure that fermentation is complete before bottling. It wasnt that I added too much sugar to my bottles, just that there was too much sugar still in the beer when I bottled.

I wouldn't worry about bottle bombs. I have found most of my over carbing to be due to beer loss during the siphoning process. If you have less than 5 gallons of beer going into the bottling bucket, adjust the amount of priming sugar you are using.

Back