Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Winter brewing in garage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
jamorgan3777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Winter brewing in garage

It seems that with each new batch of beer I brew, I have a need to go to " the next level". Right now "the next level" is full boils. I am fairly set on the 32qt (8gal) pot for the full boils but am also considering where to do this. I am pretty sure I could get away with doing it on our gas stove (we have a couple high output burners), but all the talk of turkey fryers and high output propane rigs has me thinking about moving operations to the garage. My big concern though is with condensation. There are a lot of tools in the garage (woodshop) and I am afraid with the wisconsin winter I am going to rust myself into oblivion. The garage is well insulated, but not constantly heated (I have a couple electric heaters that can make it comfortable in about 1/2 hour) but all the "iron" in there will be pretty cold. Do you get a lot of condensation in the garage when you boil out there in the winter? Between the 1 gal of boil off, and the water from the burner I am afraid I would fog the place up.

If this works out, I would move up to the 10 gal pot and that way I could use if for smaller all grain later.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
AngusPA
Recipes 

I'd be more concerned with carbon monoxide poisoning than condensation. how are you going to vent? i'd think the solution would be the same for both the CO and the water vapor.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Agreed with Angus. I brew in the garage, but with the door open and the burner just outside the garage, under the eve. DON'T do a propane burner in an enclosed garage.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I boil on a propane stove in the garage. I keep the door wide open, and the stove just inside the door. I've never had a problem with condensation or CO.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4946 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have been brewing in my garage for years.

Once the HLT has reached strike temp the garage is nice and toasty. I have seen the garage fogged before but the humidity was rather high that day.

As for venting, I crack the door a few inches and open a side door for some cross ventilation and all is well.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ya, but you live in Oblivion. We all know it's more humid in WI.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do all grain so I usually just use a keggle, Im in Alaska so the past 2 weeksends ive brewed it has been about -15 outside and my garage is not heated so it was a steady 25 to 35 in the garage and I left the garage door open about 2". I had no problem with condensation but I did have a problem with alot of steam coming out of the kettle and it made it really hard to see what was going on boiling or my volume, it drove me crazy so i think Im gonna get a heater that goes on top of my propane tank...

Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I boil on a propane stove in the garage. I keep the door wide open, and the stove just inside the door. I've never had a problem with condensation or CO.

-a.
I do as well. I brewed last weekend, it was 10º in the garage. I kept the garage about 1/4 the way open when the propane was on and then shut the door while mashing and opened again for the 60 min boil. I didn't notice a lot of condensation on any of my tools on the garage. I have a pretty big 2 car garage. Brewing tomorrow, supposed to be snowing.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You need to keep the door open. And make your life easy and get a keggel or a 15 gal kettle.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just install a powered attic vent in the garage. If finished just pipe it down. Slap a Carbon monoxide detector on the wall and goto town.

Quick Reply