Wheat beer conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
I am planing to brew wheat (wit beer) beer.Does wheat beer need less conditioning then regular ales or lager,if u can enlight me..thanx

Wheats are typically consumed rather young. I am usually drinking mine within 10 days of starting the recipe, on my keg setup. If you bottle, it can take up to 3 weeks at 70F to carb the bottles, then chill and drink away. Wheats do not benefit from a long rest.

Wheats are typically consumed rather young. I am usually drinking mine within 10 days of starting the recipe, on my keg setup. If you bottle, it can take up to 3 weeks at 70F to carb the bottles, then chill and drink away. Wheats do not benefit from a long rest.

Meaning, after the fermentation is finish i can skip the secondary fermentation,and go straight to bottling.

1,2,3 rule dont apply on this,more like 1,3. Am i righ

Yeah, no 1,2,3. I also drink my wheats very young. They start to taste a little off around 4 weeks I have found. No secondary if your making a hefe or anything like that

It also helps that wheats are expected to be yeasty and cloudy which helps the quick turn around. I have made great wheat beers that have fermented out in three days and was drinking (keg) by day 10. Keep in mind, these are pretty low hopped and reasonable gravity. Also, pitching a very healthy amount of yeast.

After fermentation is complete, I give it another 5 days. This is usually 10-14 days after pitching the yeast. As for conditioning, I just wait until the beer is completely carbonated. That is either 3-4 days for kegging or 2-3 weeks for bottling. Wheat beers are fantastic when young, and the character and body decreases after 6-8 weeks due to the yeast dropping out.

Back