Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is this

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default What is this

help!!!! what is this and whats this caused from?

i brewed two batches yesterday and the other one is not like this..

img00021-20110509-1129.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
NyPDFustercluck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Trub. Don't worry about it. It'll settle in a day or two.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like tiny particles of hops that are sticking to the carboy....I usually get a little of that each time I ferment in a glass carboy.

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
chezzesteak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

is there reasons why one beer would do it and not another. i am worried lately becuse i have had 3 bad batches in the last 2 months.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
chezzesteak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW i dont think it hops because i used hops in a bag for the first time. i got sick and tired of chweing on hops out of my glass

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Hops, trub, yeast stuck to the side of the fermenter, could be a lot of things, but doesn't look like anything to be worried about at this point. Even with hop bags, I still get some hop sediment in the fermenter.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
NyPDFustercluck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've ha the exact thing in my Carboy before. It was a mix of hops, grain particles, and coagulated proteins, they settled out after the aggressive fermentation slowed down (and looked pretty cool while the ferm was going full tilt) When you were transferring to your primary from the kettle, did you whirlpool your wort post boil? did you filter? How quick did you chill your wort?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
chezzesteak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyPDFustercluck View Post
I've ha the exact thing in my Carboy before. It was a mix of hops, grain particles, and coagulated proteins, they settled out after the aggressive fermentation slowed down (and looked pretty cool while the ferm was going full tilt) When you were transferring to your primary from the kettle, did you whirlpool your wort post boil? did you filter? How quick did you chill your wort?
i stopped doing primary and secondary. i found out i was just increasing my contamination. i do 3 gallon boils , still extract, chill it with immersion chiller which is about 15 -20 mins, add 2.5 gallons of sterile filtered water ...

yes on filter, i have one of those funnels with the filter in it. just used that for the first time. trying to get my beer more clear and not so much **** in it

Thanks guys...

Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak View Post
is there reasons why one beer would do it and not another. i am worried lately becuse i have had 3 bad batches in the last 2 months.
I'd be interested in knowing your brewing method. Honestly, there are ways to keep that stuff out of the fermenter (to a certain point). And really, a lot of people don't bother keeping it out, they just work around it. Generally, it should not end up in your bottle.

And having bad batches is something that we can also help keep from happening if we know your methods. Almost every problem has a simple solution for it.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak View Post
i stopped doing primary and secondary. i found out i was just increasing my contamination. i do 3 gallon boils , still extract, chill it with immersion chiller which is about 15 -20 mins, add 2.5 gallons of sterile filtered water ...

yes on filter, i have one of those funnels with the filter in it. just used that for the first time. trying to get my beer more clear and not so much **** in it

Thanks guys...
It's been a while since I brewed extract, but do you really need to chill before adding top-off water? I think you could refrigerate it before hand and just pour it in to drop the wort temp.

That might eliminate the chiller as a suspect.

I always siphon from the top and slowly lower the siphon down the side of the boil kettle. Give the wort a good gentle stir to get it swirling and let it settle a bit before siphoning. This will help get the stuff to drop down.

The mesh filter is what I use to finish off the filtering as well. Works pretty good.

Let it ferment for like 3 weeks (minimum) before bottling and try not to stir up the trub when you transfer into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

What do you use for a sanitizer?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS