weird idea.. thinking about using wormwood in a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
well i been thinking today about trying to make something differnt.. and i thought about why not try using wormwood to get the thujone into the beer to kind make a absinth beer.. Now has anybody ever done anything like this before?

wormwood is probably the most bitter herb you will ever brew with. A tiny amount will result in a large amount of bitter.

cgenebrewer said:
wormwood is probably the most bitter herb you will ever brew with. A tiny amount will result in a large amount of bitter.

Second this. I have a friend who (legally) runs a small distillery and makes absinthe. The wormwood that he uses along with other herbs are in baskets that the steam passes though before condensation. Therefore some of the bitter compounds aren't released - sort of like adding aroma hops. I can't imagine actually putting the stuff in the boil. The plant is literally mentioned in the Bible for it's foulness. If you want thujone in your beer maybe consider adding some absinthe into your beer. Just be aware that most absinthe under $80 a bottle won't contain any thujone. The real stuff is quite pricy.

I have an ounce in my fridge that's been sitting there for about a year now. One day when I'm flush with beer I'll probably throw together a 3 gallon batch and use it as I would use a dry hop. I've read to much info that concurs with bottlebomber to risk using it in a 5 gallon batch.

well would it be possible to extract the thujone from the wormwood so i dont get as much of the off flavor.. cause i really dont want the wormwood i just want more of the thujone.. to make a absinth beer.

and i would probly just do like a 2 gallon batch to experiment so if its crap then i wont really care.

Back