Tough decision - emptied bottles back into fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few more bottles, in fact I've been drinking some of this everyday and you know what, it's actually quite good. I've being expecting some bad flavours from oxidation but I can't find anything off about it. Did I just luck out or has the oxidation problem yet to kick in? and if so, how long have I got to finish it?

In my humble opinion, if you don't have oxidation yet, you are not going to get it.

Mine are still "green". They need to bottle condition for about four weeks - longer for heavier beers. The one I tried ahd promise though.

I've had a few more bottles, in fact I've been drinking some of this everyday and you know what, it's actually quite good. I've being expecting some bad flavor's from oxidation but I can't find anything off about it. Did I just luck out or has the oxidation problem yet to kick in? and if so, how long have I got to finish it?

Most likely it is there and you cannot taste it yet, Over time it will be more prevalent.

If you poured you beer back in the fermentor, you more than likely oxydized your beer..

Next time, maybe you want to solicit help or ideas from here, BEFORE you do something that more than likely is going to be worse than had you left it alone.

You misjudged the sweeteness. More than likely had you let the beer carb and condition, it would have been prfectly fine...you really can't just what a beer is supposed to taste like until it's actually done.

There's nothign wrong with bottling a beer at 1.019, or any gravity, if the beer was actually done. If a beer is finished fermenting, meaning all the unfermentable sugars have gone, then that's it, the beer is finished. Nothing will happen if you add more yeast, the beer is done.

Your beer was more than likely perfectly fine, despite your panic/knee jerk reaction, but now it might not be......Next time be less hasty to do something so drastic.

I definitely agree with Revvy. The beer will continue to age after it is bottled. Ask people what they think. Whenever I add priming sugar, it always tastes unusually sweet. It was fine. Don't rush without asking help. Pouring beer back into fermenter should be a LAST RESORT!!!!

I poured a batch back into the fermenter. I had bottle bombs going on. I don't think it was finished.

I added more sugar and waited for the yeast to finish. Then I bottled a second time.

Active yeast withe added sugar will eat up the oxygen and make a new layer of carbon dioxide.

I think I picked a mild infection which imparted banana, but it was good beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-was-i-thinking.165148/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-071148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210714-071148_Chrome.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 5
Back