too much or muddled dry hops for regular IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
brewing a regular ipa that should aim to be about 7%abv and 70ibus. hops used during the boil will be chinook for bittering and apollo, simcoe, cascade for flavor and aroma additions. dry hop with 1oz each apollo, simcoe, cascade. i feel these hops will work nice together. i also have an ounce of columbus i was thinking about tossing in the dry hop. does this seem like it will compliment or muddle the initial aroma/flavor of the beer? i love columbus, but since its not being used during the boil im not sure it will fit the present flavor and aroma of the beer. does 4 ounces seem like too much for a regular ipa? anyone have experience with blending apollo with other hops (boil and dry hop), thanks...

never used apollo, what are you additions going to be?

I'd do a 60min
a 10 min.
and throw alot at it at flame out with a big dry hop.

4 oz isnt alot of hops for me. :D

never used apollo, what are you additions going to be?

I'd do a 60min
a 10 min.
and throw alot at it at flame out with a big dry hop.

4 oz isnt alot of hops for me. :D

i meant 4 oz just for dry hop:rockin:

like i said- chinook for bittering (60)
then 20,15,10,5,1 equal additions of simcoe, apollo, cascade, ibus comes out to about 73
im dry hopping already with 1oz each simcoe, apollo, cascade. got some columbus in the freezer that needs to be used and wondering if it would play nice with the combo or muddle it up...

Just wondering if you went through with the 4oz of dry hop. I just dry hopped my DIPA with 4 oz and it turned out wicked hazy (strained through 2 hop bags) and smells hop juice. I just hope its drinkable!

Just wondering if you went through with the 4oz of dry hop. I just dry hopped my DIPA with 4 oz and it turned out wicked hazy (strained through 2 hop bags) and smells hop juice. I just hope its drinkable!

for that batch i went with 3oz since i was experimenting with apollo. lets say the combo of apollo, simcoe, cascade = tangerines. i dont think the extra columbus would have mattered much since the apollo was very pungent mixed with the simcoe (i couldnt even detect the cascade). ive dry hopped my DIPA with 6oz before and it was outstanding. nothing wrong with some hop haze in an IPA, but try whirlfloc if your looking for a clearer beer...

Not worried about haze, just worried that it might be hop particles and lend to off flavour. The beer in the bottom of the bottling bucket was a bit green. I have dryhopped with 2 oz before before with great success, but never tried 4.

Not worried about haze, just worried that it might be hop particles and lend to off flavour. The beer in the bottom of the bottling bucket was a bit green. I have dryhopped with 2 oz before before with great success, but never tried 4.

hop particles wont lend an off flavor. what hops did you use for your dry hop?

My 1st IPA will be done dry hopping & ready to bottle Wednesday. I dry hopped 1 week with .5oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade. The same 3 hops I used in the boil. Since I used 3lbs of Munton's plain light DME with a cooper's OS draught can to get the malt profile/color close to DFH,I only needed aroma/flavor additions. Over the last 25 minutes of the boil,I added 1.5oz each of the Columbus>Nugget>Cascade.
On the final FG test,it already had a nice citrus smell over the malt. It was interesting that the combination of hops also made a bitter orange sort of flavor under the lemony/grapefruit flavor. It also has a nice earthy spice to it as well. Should be great when ready with the 6oz I used.

Back