Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temp control question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
wgonfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp control question

I was wondering how long into the fermentation process is tempature control important. After active fermentation has stopped can I relax a little until bottling? I'm asking because its much more convenient and will save a little $$ if I can move my fermenter into a slightly warmer area. In the fermenter I have a pale ale with wyeast british ale 1098 yeast (64-72degrees). I have kept the ambient temp in my fermentation cooler at 60 & my fermenter has been around 65/66 for 5 days. It appears from my gravity (OG1.051, CG1.015) reading & airlock activity that the fermentation is done. I want to move the fermenter into my house for another 14 days, the ambient temp in the house will varie between 68-75. If I move it in now do I risk off flavors or anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

That's fine. You want to avoid sudden swings, but after the first couple of days your exact temps aren't as big of a deal.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
whirlybirds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've hit 80 for 12 hours or more a few times on some of my batches and it didn't do much to the flavor. But it was after most of the fermentation was finished. I sure it won't hurt much to bring it in the house. Just keep an eye on it as much as possible and make sure your temps don't get too out of wack.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgonfan View Post
I was wondering how long into the fermentation process is tempature control important. After active fermentation has stopped can I relax a little until bottling? I'm asking because its much more convenient and will save a little $$ if I can move my fermenter into a slightly warmer area. In the fermenter I have a pale ale with wyeast british ale 1098 yeast (64-72degrees). I have kept the ambient temp in my fermentation cooler at 60 & my fermenter has been around 65/66 for 5 days. It appears from my gravity (OG1.051, CG1.015) reading & airlock activity that the fermentation is done. I want to move the fermenter into my house for another 14 days, the ambient temp in the house will varie between 68-75. If I move it in now do I risk off flavors or anything.
A little warmer at that point is fine, it will help keep the yeast active for clean-up purposes...your flavors are pretty much developed by now.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
tmanzee
Recipes 

relax regardless all my best beers come when im in la la land

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Temp control is only critical during the most active part of fermentation. Newbies would know this as the "bubbling" period..

Every beer is different, but as a general rule my beers stay in the fermentation chamber for 48-72 hours, then go in an interior closet at about 70-72F if I need the space. If I don't need the space, they stay in the chamber, because a slow cool fermentation and conditioning is ALWAYS going to be cleaner than a warmer one.

Good luck!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Temp is theoreticaly important throughout the whole fermentation. But, from a practical stand point, Topher is correct. Depending on the beer, the first 2-5 days are the most critical in impacting the flavor of the beer. Beyond that you're just trying not to stress the yeast too much, and trying to get the beer to attenuate properly.

Quick Reply