Super IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude71

Reaction score
So I'm just learning and experimenting. I feel like I've been developing some good habits too. I don't rely on my bubble as a sign of fermentation for instance :rockin:. I brewed my third batch last night and I was basically going for a super hoppy, complex IPA with a largish alcohol content. I've searched a couple places online without an answer to this question:

Would you say there is a limit to the number of types of hops you would put in 1 batch?

The reason I asked was I used 4. I started with a pound of crushed Crystal 40L, then 10 pounds of light extract to get the alcohol content around 8-9%. My first hop was a Warrior, then Magnum at 15, Cascade at 30, and Willamette at 45. I figured I'd just go down in Alpha as I went. Any predictions on how this will turn out? I may end up dry hopping with a little cascade.

Rob

No, there's no limit. I'm trying to make Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin and it has like 6+ types of hops (annoying).

There's a graph somewhere on here that shows the time of hop addition versus whether it affects bitterness or aroma.

Hop additions at the beginning of the boil affect bitterness...that's where people use stuff like warrior or magnum (cleaner high AA hops). Starting at 20 minutes left in the boil, people usually start aroma additions.

So for your next IPA, you might want to do additions at 60 minutes and then wait until 20 or 15 minutes left for your aroma adds. Additions at 45 and 30 minutes don't do much for aroma and are kind of seen as wasting hops (since you could've added less earlier to get the same bitterness).

Rob, hop addition timing is measured backwards from end of boil. Your post seems to be using the wrong convention. Ie, first hop is 60 min, late addition is 5 min.

The reason I asked was I used 4. I started with a pound of crushed Crystal 40L, then 10 pounds of light extract to get the alcohol content around 8-9%. My first hop was a Warrior, then Magnum at 15, Cascade at 30, and Willamette at 45. I figured I'd just go down in Alpha as I went. Any predictions on how this will turn out? I may end up dry hopping with a little cascade.

Rob

There is nothing wrong with using multiple hop varieties. However, some varieties blend better with certain hops than others. Using Noble hops with American hops has not been my favorite combination. So it isn't the quantity of different hops, just the type that matters more. Everyone's palate is different so you will find which ones you like the best. Any of the C hops (Cascade, Centennial, Colombus) go together well. Most citrusy hops tend to go well with each other. The Noble hops blend better with each other in my experience. There are obviously exceptions, but this will help you get a general idea.

Having said that...Your hops should work perfectly fine with each other. Your timing on them could have been altered, but it should be fine. I don't use a 30 minute addition hardly ever. It doesn't add much flavor and doesn't utlilize the bittering capabilities of the hop. Magnum is typically a bittering hop, so using that at 60 minutes is usually optimal.

Take notes on how this beer turned out and you will have an idea for what direction to go with your next.

You should be fine with those hops. You do want to make sure they are complimentary hops that you choose. I like to see what combos others like, or taste different brews w different hops and concoct my own combo, based on their flavor/aromas. The hop chart should help, and the advice on Noble/American hops is good. Although I know there are even some good combos there.

Just an FYI-Since your last addition was at 45(which is really 15 minutes left of the boil-assuming you did a 60min boil) I would definitely consider doing some major dry-hopping. You won't get much aroma at 15min(you want to be in the 10-0min range for more aroma), but you will get some flavor from 15min as well as a little from your 30min addition. So flavor should be good to go, but if you want a big hoppy aroma, which is usually how you want an IPA, I'd consider at least 1-2oz of dry hops. If not 3-4. Use cascade, and maybe even magnum for some complexity. More cascade than not though. I don't know if Willamette would be worth considering, since you already used it towards the end of the boil. Never used it myself for flavor/aroma along with the citrusy hops. You'd probably need a lot of Willamette to be able to detect it through the cascade, I'd imagine.

Regardless your beer should be pretty good! It doesn't kill you to not have a big hop aroma...but boy is it nice!! Good luck!

Back