Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strange white specks in brew? -with pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Strange white specks in brew? -with pics

Hello, I have read this forum quite a bit lately and really appreciate the information. I am posting for the first time with a question regarding my first brew.

As of day 5 in the primary fermentation chamber (glass carboy) my brew has produced tiny white specks floating on the top around the inside wall of the carboy.
The brew was a very simple first time experience: malt extract with corn sugar and 1oz of hops.

What are these small white specks? What can be done, should I filter this out when I bottle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1647/whitespecks.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7858/whitespecks2.jpg - This second photo shows a white box around some of the white specks, above the white box is some of the foam/film residue left over from the first few days of fermentation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I can't really see anything in those pictures, but what you are describing sounds like yeast flocculating as fermentation slows down. Should be fine....does it smell/taste infected?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I can't really see anything in those pictures, but what you are describing sounds like yeast flocculating as fermentation slows down. Should be fine....does it smell/taste infected?
Looks like yeast to me. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Usually from what I've seen on here, infections show up on the very top of the surface and if left alone grow to form a skim.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While fermenting you'll see all kinds of specks and chunks churning around. It's still early.

5 days is nothing. Give it 2 weeks and it should really start clearing out. When you syphon to your secondary or bottling bucket just avoid the sides and surface, and you'll be fine.

Remember that this is a natural process and it's natural not to be perfectly clear. Those flecks shouldn't hurt you a bit and will likely settle or get filtered out before it ever touches your lips. If not, just pick them out of your teeth and keep drinking!

Quick Reply