Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stout Tastes Terrible

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
PotreroHill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stout Tastes Terrible

Just opened my third ever batch -- a dry stout kit from AHS. It's a clone of Anderson Valley Brewing Company Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.

It's been bottle aging for three weeks, and is fully carbonated but tastes aweful. Kind of bland and astringent.

I think I've read that stouts need more time than other beers to bottle condition, but my other beers (a pale ale and brown ale) both tasted great after three weeks of bottle conditioning.

Any way to tell if it needs more time in the bottle or if it's contaminated?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroHill View Post
Any way to tell if it needs more time in the bottle or if it's contaminated?
Yes, leave it for another couple of weeks and sample again. If it tastes better...it needed more time in the bottle.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's green.
Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From your description "bland and astringent," I'm guessing the beer may not have had the strongest recipe to begin with. A stout can be many things taste-wise. But I've never heard bland used to describe one. The most common cause of astringency in homebrew is oversparging and/or sparging too hot.

I wouldn't think it's infected unless a you've seen a pellicle - and for what it's worth, infections typically give off a sour taste. If it isn't sour, it's probably not infected.

The answer to part one of your last sentence is: YES. Beer needs more time in a bottle (unless it's going into my belly). Can you get good beer in 3 weeks in a bottle? Yes. Will the same beer be noticably better in an additional 3 weeks? Yes. The tannin astringency might not go away, though. Worse case scenario, this can be your "end of the night beer!"

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Was this an all-grain recipe or did you steep the grains in the brewpot? If the dark roasted malts get boiled they can really become astringent and that will take forever to mellow out.
What yeast did you use? If the beer is to dry it can really boost the astringency from the darker roasted malts/grains.

Quick Reply