Stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bds3

Reaction score
I brewed this stout from Midwest (extract with steeping grains: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-stout.html ) about a year ago, and recently found a handful in the back of my stash. In short, I either didn't fully appreciate it at the time or it's gotten that much better with significant aging.

I'd like to brew it again, but am wondering how to give it a little more roasted flavor or coffee-like character. What's the best way to do tht without completely changing the beer? I'm inclined to just increase the roasted barley in the steeping grains, and maybe the chocolate malt as well. I know this isn't exactly a complex question which just proves how much of a rookie I am.

My next door neigbor actually uses his own coffee grounds in bags while steeping if im not mistaking...his stout beer is the reason i started brewing..

The only reason I'm hesitant to do that is because the numerous home brews (coffee stouts, etc) I've had that friends have made by adding coffee tasted to me like I was sucking on stale coffee grounds. I have no doubt your neighbor has figured out how to make his far better than that but I'd like to try without adding coffee.

Add 2 ounces of fresh ground coffee the last five minutes of the boil and strain the wort going into the fermenter

i watched him do it once and he just put a bit in (not sure how much of fresh *insert brand grounds* and mixed it with the grains...im going to a coffee/oatmeal stout after i rack my secondary..

Upping the roasted and chocolate malt to 8 oz. would help. You could also try changing the caramel 10L to something higher like a 40L or 60L.

Maybe I'll do all 3 of those. This kit is a really good stout; hopefully I can make it better and not worse.

I brew all grain. I have a stout recipe in my rotation that is 9# of 2row, 1# of roasted barley, 1# of chocolate malt, 1# of crystal 40, 1# of flaked barley and 1/4# of black patten. It turns out really well with a good roasted/coffee flavor. You wouldnt need to go with 1# of each because you are already using a dark malt extract. Doubling up the amounts of roasted malts should give you what your looking for. If you want cut the recipe in half and make a 2.5 gallon test batch.

Back