Stepping up to partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
Like the title says, I think I am ready to step up my game a little. For my 5th batch, I will be brewing my first partial mash brew. I decided to go with a AHS DFH 60 minute clone. I wanted to have something with good instructions for my first time so I went with a kit. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what to do. I made my starter last night in anticipation of a Saturday brew day.

That's about it really, I am pretty excited about advancing my brewing knowledge and I think this is a good step in the right direction. I don't see myself doing more than a few of these before I move on to all grain. I have only been brewing for 6 months and thanks to HBT, every batch so far has been a success. I am confident that success will continue! :mug:

Congrats!
You'll be looking up mash tun prices before you know it. It only took me one partial batch to go into all-grain.

I have to say that using Deathbrewer's stovetop PM method has worked wonders for me. I like the fact that I didn't need to buy any new equipment either. At this point, I'm satisfied and probably won't make the step up to AG.

Have fun! I think you'll find that it's worth it.

I just moved to All Grain straight from extract. I would recommend it, it's really not nearly as intimidating as you think. Drop $50-$60 on a mash tun and skip PM

Just my advice. Good Luck!

I just moved to All Grain straight from extract. I would recommend it, it's really not nearly as intimidating as you think. Drop $50-$60 on a mash tun and skip PM

The funny thing is, I already have a mash tun! I have a big round gatorade cooler. I also have an old sanke keg (don't worry, it is purchased) that I intend to eventually convert to a keggle. I will probably get working on them sometime this summer. The keggle will be pretty important as I currently do not have the ability to do a full boil.

Baby steps!!

Congrats! I stepped up to partial mash recently too and think it's awesome! All I could think about during it was how I can't wait to go all grain! It definitely isn't as scary as I thought it was and I'm glad other people are seeing that too!

Speaking of baby steps, a nice baby step into the AG world is to do a couple of 2.5 gal AG batches. You have the mash tun, and your PMs will mash - what, five or six pounds of grain? If you can do that, then you can make a small full-boil AG batch on your stovetop. I found that's a nice way to experiment with AG before you buy more equipment.

Speaking of baby steps, a nice baby step into the AG world is to do a couple of 2.5 gal AG batches. You have the mash tun, and your PMs will mash - what, five or six pounds of grain? If you can do that, then you can make a small full-boil AG batch on your stovetop. I found that's a nice way to experiment with AG before you buy more equipment.

I actually thought about that, but I think I am going to do a few PM's and while I am working on my keggle/mash tun projects and go right to 5 gal batches.

Not that simple for most of us that can't boil the full volume of an AG batch.

Thought I would update..

Everything went fairly smooth. I was able to keep my mash temp between 148-155 for the 1-hour period. The wort was much more cloudy then I am use to seeing with extract batches but I am assuming that is normal from mashing. I had a hard time getting a good cold break for some reason so the irish moss didn't do it's job very effectively, but I'm not too worried about that. OG was 1.061, target was 1.064

I pitched my starter (WLP002) and had activity within 6 hours! This is the most active fermentation I have had yet. In less than 24 hours I had krausen to the top of my 6 gallon carboy, luckily I used a blow-off tube. My only real concern is that the fermentation was so active that temps got up to 72 degrees. Hopefully that isn't too high, I know this yeast likes 64-68.

I think I will do a few more of these to improve my methods and in the mean time, I'll start piecing together my all-grain setup.

Latest posts

Back