Star-San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADETS3

Reaction score
I've heard many different things about using Star-San. One being that you need to rinse or dry the acid before it touches your beer. The other being that it doesn't matter whether you pull it from your sanitizing station directly to your brew. "Supposedly," the Star-San turns into fermentable sugars and does not compromise your brew. Advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

It's composed of acids, not carbohydrates so it can't turn into sugar, But I heard it breaks down into nutrients that the yeast uses. I personally try to get as much of it out of the bottles/carboy etc as possible, but I think a little residual star san is not too bad. Still it unnerves me to see all that foam!! lol

You don't need to let it dry at all, just 30s contact time. Might even be less to be honest, there's a brewing network podcast from the makers of it I think

Once you add beer to your bottle/keg or wort to your fermentor then it has allready done its job and becomes so diluted it is essentially irrelevant . It doesn't create off flavours like a bleach based sanitiser might.

Taste it. It won't hurt you. I'll bet you could add about a cup of the recommended solution to your beer with no effect.

Don't let Starsan dry or rinse it. If you do it is no longer effective.

There is nothing to fear with the foam.

It has no flavor.

It will not harm your beer unless you add massive amounts.

Starsan is on my list of must have items.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back