To soon or just go for it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanbrew

Reaction score
OK, here is me situation!

my beer (IPA) has spent 6 days in primary and 10 days in the secondary. i tasted it today after having same gravity reading for 3 days. tasted good but is still a little cloudy!

can i cold crash it to clear it a little more and then keg?

or should i leave it in secondary for 5 more days and then cold crash it for 2 days?

i need it carbonated and kegged by the 22nd of this month!!!!! (only 11 more days!)

room temp aging is the only way I know to get rid of the green flavors. Cold crashing will fix cloudy, but not green.

Month old beer (especially higher gravity brews) is too young to drink IMO.

If you need it by the 22nd, crash cool this Friday, then keg on Sunday. Hit it with 30psi for 2-3 days depending on desired level of carbonation. Should be carbed and ready to go by the 21st. But, for future reference I've noticed that there is a ton of difference between 3 weeks in the fermenter vs. 4 weeks in the fermenter. Not only does the beer clear much better, the taste is much cleaner and more crisp.

I rather have a cloudy beer than a green one.

Blah :(

I agree with that. Keep it as long as you can at room temp, giving yourself just enough time to quick carb it in the keg. It will clear pretty well and age better IMO, I don't cold crash anything, only secondary and most of my beers come out nice and clear. You'll be cold crashing it in the keg anyway, unless you like warm beer.

Latest posts

Back