should i put a wheat beer in a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i was just wondering, since wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy, should i put mine into a secondary to clear it up?

you could if your gravity has not reached its FG yet. otherwise i would not put a wheat in there to clear as it is not going to be a clear beer anyway.

grrtt78 said:
i was just wondering, since wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy, should i put mine into a secondary to clear it up?

I put mine into the secondary for a couple of weeks (hopefully gonna crack it open tomorrow) cause its gonna be cloudy either way, I just figured, why not?

I put my cherry wheat into secondary for a couple of weeks not for clearing, but rather for aging before it got bottled.

It'll be ready to drink for Christmas weekend, so I'll let you know how it went then. It did taste good at bottling time though :tank:

grrtt78 said:
It depends on your preference. I secondary all my wheat beers. It'll remain plenty cloudy regardless of using a secondary. That said, many people do a primary, and then keg, and skip a secondary altogether.

Yep, I secondary, too. A Hefeweizen has a lot of different flavors going on and I like the bulk conditioning aspect of a secondary. It won't clear (at normal temps) or lose any flavor in a couple of weeks, anyways.

Like hb_99, I think clarity/cloudiness in a Hefe is a non-factor, as well. Most Hefe's you buy at the store pour clear and you have to swirl the yeast into them and they taste okay to me. When I drink my young, they're usually a little cloudy. After a couple of weeks in the fridge, they're clear. I drink them.

Back