Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I keep my hydrometer in the primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
jining
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I keep my hydrometer in the primary?

Hello! I am new to homebrewing, my buddy and I just picked up a pretty decent kit from our local home brewing store (The Cellar in Seattle, WA).

We just got the wort in the primary today, we are attempting to make a light wheat ale, seems to be an easy beginner beer.

Anyways, just curious if I should keep the hydrometer in the primary, or continue to extract samples? Seems like more risk of contamination if I keep opening it and extracting samples.

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Once the yeast start going to town they will form a foam on the top which will definitely adhere to your hydrometer. Once they do that it will weigh it down enough to throw off your readings, not to mentions make it nearly impossible to read.

Just follow good sanitation processes when extracting samples for testing... I would wait a couple of weeks before testing anyway. Welcome to homebrewing!!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Neither, like nealf said you won't get accurate readings but also just leave the beer alone for three weeks. Before transferring the beer just take one reading and make sure the FG is where you expect it to be. Minimize messing with the beer.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

+1. Just wait till you see that crud, you will soon see why it won't work.

PS remember this, your first post. A few brews down the line you will have a palm/forehead moment and wonder if you ever really asked this on your first post here. Enjoy it!

Last edited by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible; 03-05-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You can just leave the original sample in the tube & check that occasionally. It will finish faster than the fermenter, but can be interesting to watch. Just give it a good shaking before each measurement to de-gas it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was thinking about doing the same thing, but after my first batch I noticed how much krausen residue was left on the sides of the carboy and I decided it would be a bad idea ha ha.

With regards to wheat beers I don't even use a carboy, it goes from bucket to bottle in 3 weeks

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
With regards to any beers I don't even use a carboy, it goes from bucket to bottle in 3 weeks
Fixed that... and +1

Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Dionysos911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jining View Post
Hello! I am new to homebrewing, my buddy and I just picked up a pretty decent kit from our local home brewing store (The Cellar in Seattle, WA).

We just got the wort in the primary today, we are attempting to make a light wheat ale, seems to be an easy beginner beer.

Anyways, just curious if I should keep the hydrometer in the primary, or continue to extract samples? Seems like more risk of contamination if I keep opening it and extracting samples.

Thanks for the help!

Aaron
I won't re-quote what everyone else. But I will say welcome and seems you and I both started at Cellars. Here's to Seattle brewin!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

If you break your hydrometer IN the carboy, you have ruined 5 gallons of beer and hydrometer break very easily. It's riskier to leave the hydrometer in the carboy than taking out samples.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
jining
Recipes 

Ok! Looks like I will extract samples. I am planning to use a secondary so from what ive read, I will probably transfer in a weeks time or once it has stabilized.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Quick Reply