Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sediment in bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Acuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sediment in bottles

So I made my first batch of beer and it is fantastic. Tastes awesome and I am really enjoying it. My question is that in some of the bottles there is yeast-like sediment in the bottom? What causes this and how do I avoid it? It does not seem to affect the taste at all, but my wife sure doesn't care for it.

Also it seems like the sediment does not really appear in the bottom until I freeze it, almost as if it drops out of suspension when the temp is reduced. Should I have left it in the secondary longer?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It's going to be there if you naturally carbonate the beer. Just pour the bottle carefully into a glass and leave the last little bit in the bottle.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
HempelNet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Why is it the questions I actually know the correct answer too, I get beaten by another poster.. lol

+1 to Shooter's post

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
: Primary#1 : N/A : Primary#2 : N/A
: Secondary#1 : N/A : Secondary#2 : N/A
: Bottled : Hand-outs ONLY
: Keg #1 : Apfelwein : Keg #2 : Belgian Wit
: Keg #3 : Gumball Head Clone : Keg #4 : Oatmeal Stout
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It doesn't matter how long you secondary, it's part of the carbonation process, for bottle conditioned beers, both homebrew, and many many commercial microbrews.

In fact the Belgian's practically worship it.

If you are interested in reading more about it, you can read this post of mine from awhile back, when someone else asked the question.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anyo...8/#post1379528

There's even a video on how to pour bottle conditioned beers leaving the sediment behind.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuna View Post
Also it seems like the sediment does not really appear in the bottom until I freeze it, almost as if it drops out of suspension when the temp is reduced. Should I have left it in the secondary longer?

Any advice?
well, stop freezing your beer for starters.

seriously though, are you actually freezing your beer or is that just inaccurate wording?

i ask because beer actually has more flavor and aroma when you serve it at appropriate temperatures....which is not 'ice cold' 32F.

that's fine and well for bud light...that "beer" has no hops or malt flavor to enjoy.

but 'good beers' do have malt and hops and these get masked be icy temperatures. This is why you see/read/hear about pubs in the UK that serve 'warm beer' (often as warm at 60F going into the pint glass).

try it out. I keep my beer fridge/kegerator at about 44F to make sure I fully enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
PatientZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post

but 'good beers' do have malt and hops and these get masked be icy temperatures. This is why you see/read/hear about pubs in the UK that serve 'warm beer' (often as warm at 60F going into the pint glass).
I'm no brewing expert or anything, but this is one realm I CAN dispute. As an avid traveler and someone who lives with Europeans daily, the "Europeans drink warm beer" theory is a myth. I've lived all over different parts of Europe, and so has the rest of my family. I've NEVER encountered a room temperature beer overseas. I do understand that some places do serve special beers that are less cold than we prefer them, but ALL of my British friends say that the warm beer thing is just a myth...they tell me that we as Americans aren't exactly going to places where Americans are particularly adored.

Sorry, but I had to get that off my chest.

And honestly, I hope you are not literally FREEZING beer...

Last edited by PatientZero; 11-13-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Drink that stuff out of the bottle after you've poured your beer into the pint glass, it's chock-full of vitamin B, which is a great vitamin to take to prevent hangovers.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Careful raking can reduce sediment. A secondary and cold crashing can significantly reduce it.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 11-13-2009 at 03:19 AM.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

leaving in the fridge for 2-3 weeks packs it so hard it won't come out on pours.

at least for me.

or maybe I learned how to pour?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Heck, I was getting concerned because I was NOT Getting sediment!!! 4 days in the fridge fixed that.

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply