Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary in primary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
bushmanj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default secondary in primary fermenter

i have 2 primary plastic 6.5 gallon fermentors. i was wondering if i could rack into one of them for secondary? i know the head space in there is not good for oxidation reasons. by pilling the head space with co2 make this work without negative effects?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

It isn't a problem racking into a container with extra head space. When you rack you will knock the CO2 out of suspension and it will add a blanket of protection over your beer.

On the next post someone will probably mention this so I might as well do it now. Many of us don't use a secondary at all. We leave our beers for a month or so and go directly to bottle. It is a personal choice and either way is good.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Yep. Like Nurmey said, unless you need the bucket the beer is in right now for something, plan on letting it age for a few months, or add fruit or dry hop, there probably isn't much of a need to rack it to another bucket.

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't and your beer will be fine either way, it's just one extra step and a little more work for you.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

These guys are right on.

If you are gonna drink your beer within a month or two, oxidation should not be a major concern -- there are much more important things to be worrying about.

Also, on a side note, the plastic buckets are more oxygen-permeable than glass/stainless, so you'll get some oxidation regardless if you let it sit in there long enough.

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
If you are gonna drink your beer within a month or two, oxidation should not be a major concern -- there are much more important things to be worrying about.
I haven't heard this before. Do you mean a month or two after bottling? Can you explain why oxidation is more of an issue if the beer sits in bottle longer?

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oxidized beer takes a while to get that wet cardboard/oxidized taste. If you think you oxidized your beer it's better to drink it sooner.

It would however take a really long time (many many months) to have a beer oxidize in a pail unless you are shaking the crap out of it after fermentation.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Oxidized beer takes a while to get that wet cardboard/oxidized taste. If you think you oxidized your beer it's better to drink it sooner.

It would however take a really long time (many many months) to have a beer oxidize in a pail unless you are shaking the crap out of it after fermentation.
Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a taste that gets worse over time. Good to know.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
bushmanj
Recipes 

thanks for the tips guys! so there is no problem dry hopping in primary? should i wait until the month passes before i dry hop? is there a proper time to do it?

Quick Reply