secondary in primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i have 2 primary plastic 6.5 gallon fermentors. i was wondering if i could rack into one of them for secondary? i know the head space in there is not good for oxidation reasons. by pilling the head space with co2 make this work without negative effects?

Welcome to HBT!

It isn't a problem racking into a container with extra head space. When you rack you will knock the CO2 out of suspension and it will add a blanket of protection over your beer.

On the next post someone will probably mention this so I might as well do it now. Many of us don't use a secondary at all. We leave our beers for a month or so and go directly to bottle. It is a personal choice and either way is good.

Yep. Like Nurmey said, unless you need the bucket the beer is in right now for something, plan on letting it age for a few months, or add fruit or dry hop, there probably isn't much of a need to rack it to another bucket.

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't and your beer will be fine either way, it's just one extra step and a little more work for you.

These guys are right on.

If you are gonna drink your beer within a month or two, oxidation should not be a major concern -- there are much more important things to be worrying about.

Also, on a side note, the plastic buckets are more oxygen-permeable than glass/stainless, so you'll get some oxidation regardless if you let it sit in there long enough.

If you are gonna drink your beer within a month or two, oxidation should not be a major concern -- there are much more important things to be worrying about.

I haven't heard this before. Do you mean a month or two after bottling? Can you explain why oxidation is more of an issue if the beer sits in bottle longer?

Oxidized beer takes a while to get that wet cardboard/oxidized taste. If you think you oxidized your beer it's better to drink it sooner.

It would however take a really long time (many many months) to have a beer oxidize in a pail unless you are shaking the crap out of it after fermentation.

Oxidized beer takes a while to get that wet cardboard/oxidized taste. If you think you oxidized your beer it's better to drink it sooner.

It would however take a really long time (many many months) to have a beer oxidize in a pail unless you are shaking the crap out of it after fermentation.

Oh, I didn't know that. So it's a taste that gets worse over time. Good to know.

thanks for the tips guys! so there is no problem dry hopping in primary? should i wait until the month passes before i dry hop? is there a proper time to do it?

Back