Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
I've had this in primary for 3 weeks. I planned on bottling yesterday, but it's still very cloudy. It's a Scottish ale. OG 1.08 FG 1.02 stable. I have no way of cold crashing the fermenter, so I'm wondering if I should leave it in primary for 2-3 more weeks at 70* or should I rack to secondary for 2-3 weeks.

I'm worried about the clarity and not really sure what a Scottish ale should look like

image-3624398221.jpg

Looks like a bloody mary to me!

What was your grain bill and yeast used?

Go get a package of unflavored gelatin from the grocery store and dump in about 1/2 the package. That'll coagulate some of the finer proteins and pull then out of suspension.

Then, just CAREFULLY rack above the trub when you move to the bottling bucket/keg.

I have no way of cold crashing the fermenter

Really, no way? You can cold crash in just about anything that'll hold ice. I use a $20 walmart Igloo Cube to cold crash my plastic and glass fermenters. Other brewers use swamp cooler buckets, although I find the cooler method maintains cold temps for longer and allows me to easily drain the ice melt.

Put the fermenter in the cooler. Fill the cooler 1/4 full of tap water and then pack in as much ice as you can. Chill for at least 48 hours. Depending on your ambient temps, you may have you drain out some ice melt and replace with fresh ice. Then do as another poster suggested and add gelatin - dissolve about 1/2tsp of UNFLAVORED gelatin in a cup of water. Heat to 170* but DO NOT BOIL. Let cool to about 100*. Carefully pour the gelatin into your fermenter making sure that it doesn't splash around too much. Continue to chill your fermenter for another 4-5 days. Bottle as per usual.

Cold crash + gelatin has done wonders for my beers' clarity! Good luck

:mug:

If you've left it for 3, leave it for another week, or more til it looks clear, and bottle. That's what I do, and my beers are crystal clear. No cold crashing or anything. Just be sure to rack above the yeast cake that you've let compress.

I agree with the previous two posts. More time will result in clearer beer, but cooling it will speed the process. And getting 70* beer to 50* should not be an insurmountable task.

But as Revvy said, cooling is certainly is NOT required to get your beer clear.

Gelatin will also help, but again is not necessary.

At the end of the day, being clear is not necessary. Good luck.

It was partial extract where I steeped the following grains with 8lbs amber LME and 1lb dark LME.

1lb carafoam
1lb crystal 90
1lb 2 row (I know it's a base malt, but the recipe calls for it)

I used 2 packs of dry yeast, can't remember exactly what it was. I think it was safale 05.

It tastes very good considering it is uncarbonated warm beer

Yeah, just carefully rack when you bottle, then make sure the bottles are in the fridge for a good week or two, and that beer will clear on it's own. Use the gelatin I suggested if you want to speed up the process a bit.

Just re- read what I posted. I didn't steep "with" the LME. I steeped with plain water, let the grain drip dry and the added the LME when it started to boil

I'd be concerned with steeping starches out of the 2-row,since it wasn't mashed to convert them to sugars. This could be part of the problem.

Back