Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is this safe? A Sour Beer Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
ARDean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this safe? A Sour Beer Question...

I am in the process of an experiment and I'm not sure if I should continue, here is what I have done:
1) 64 oz growler of Scottish Ale siting on Whisky Oak for about 8 months
2) small propagated batch of The Deschutes Dissident dregs with canned tart cherries
3) added these two 'beers' together into a stainless pot and covered with a cheesecloth and left outside for 4 days
4) brought inside and added approximately 4 cups of a portion of first-runnings (cooled) of a pale and an IPA and about 1 oz of Merlot Oak to the stainless pot

Is this safe to even drink? Do I need to pasteurize? Should I worry about botulism or something like that?

I am attempting to sour this out (and it sure smells sour right now!) and continue to grow it out as I want to blend this with small (all-grain) batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1125 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Nothing harmful to you will grow in beer. It may not taste good at all, but it's an experiment!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply