Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is this safe? A Sour Beer Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
ARDean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this safe? A Sour Beer Question...

I am in the process of an experiment and I'm not sure if I should continue, here is what I have done:
1) 64 oz growler of Scottish Ale siting on Whisky Oak for about 8 months
2) small propagated batch of The Deschutes Dissident dregs with canned tart cherries
3) added these two 'beers' together into a stainless pot and covered with a cheesecloth and left outside for 4 days
4) brought inside and added approximately 4 cups of a portion of first-runnings (cooled) of a pale and an IPA and about 1 oz of Merlot Oak to the stainless pot

Is this safe to even drink? Do I need to pasteurize? Should I worry about botulism or something like that?

I am attempting to sour this out (and it sure smells sour right now!) and continue to grow it out as I want to blend this with small (all-grain) batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1107 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Nothing harmful to you will grow in beer. It may not taste good at all, but it's an experiment!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply