Rinsing after oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
I wondered what everyone's protocol is after using oxyclean to clean kegs, carboys,etc? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes you have to rinse it off, like any other cleaning product. Star San, a sanitizer not a cleaner, does not have to be rinsed off when you sanitize. :mug:

You could rinse with water but I always sanitize with starsan after, which I assume would rinse/remove the oxyclean. Starsan is a no-rinse sanitizer that doesn't hurt the beer.

I rinse everything really well after cleaning with oxyclean. When it's rinsed to my satasfaction I dry everything I can reach with paper towels. Anything I can't get dry gets gets hung up (tubing) or turned over (carboy) to drip dry.

So far I haven't noticed any scaling and if there is any that isn't really visible I'm pretty sure the starsan will get it the next time I use that peice of equipment.

This has worked for me for nearly three years now and I'm still using most of the gear I originally bought when I started brewing.

Lately I've been considering making up some DIY PBW (70% Oxyclean Free/30% Red Devil TSP90). This combo seems to be popular but as of yet straight up oxyclean seems to be doing the job so I don't know if I'll bother.

Note: I clean my gear as soon as possible after using it (within an hour or two at the absolute most). For instance brew night isn't over until all the gear is clean and dry or clean and hung up to dry. Dirt never really gets a chance to dry onto my equipment. The next time I go to use it I don't clean I just sanitize.

I clean with Oxyclean, rinse well with cool water, and let it air dry.

I would not rely on a star san solution to rinse out a cleaning agent.

Oxyclean seems to rinse off easily or more difficult depending on the water chemistry. My water is good and I can leave stuff in Oxyclean for days and it will rinse easily.

My advise, rinse well, let it dry, then sanitize before use.

I fill my carboys with oxiclean, leave them sit until ready to use again or put them in stoage. when oxiclean breaks down you get a white layer on the bottom of the carboy like a yeast cake but it's soda ash. Basically you end up with water and soda ash. Rinses out easy.
After a few rinses I use starsan.

I fill my carboys with oxiclean, leave them sit until ready to use again or put them in stoage. when oxiclean breaks down you get a white layer on the bottom of the carboy like a yeast cake but it's soda ash. Basically you end up with water and soda ash. Rinses out easy.
After a few rinses I use starsan.

+1 here. I soak kegs, carboys, and fermenters with oxy, then rinse, then dry. For bottles, i'll soak for 24hrs in oxy, then put them in the dishwasher on the hi temp setting. cleans 'em good.

how much oxyclean do you use when cleaning out 5 gallon carboys and/or pails? i've had 2 batches go bad on me recently and need to up my cleaning game.

My typical rinse routine for a keg goes like this:

1 with a handheld spray head I spray all the interior sides with hot water until the keg is a fifth to a quarter full and then I dump it.

2 I fill the keg with hot water until it overflows. Then dump.

3 I spray down the sides again like step 1.

4 Turn upside down and let drain and dry.

I use 2 scoops of Craft Meister o2 cleaner to about 3 gallons of hot water. That may be mixed a little thin, but I wash things immediately after use. Rinses very easily.

Since the answer has been covered, let me chime in with a pro tip: Oxyclean free rinses a bit easier than regular. If you cannot find oxyclean free, it also comes as oxyclean "baby" with a pink top and you can get it at Babies/Toys R Us. They are both free of dyes and whatnot.

how much oxyclean do you use when cleaning out 5 gallon carboys and/or pails? i've had 2 batches go bad on me recently and need to up my cleaning game.

Are you sanitizing after using OxiClean?

Back