Ready for Brew 2, couple of procedure questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifraf

Reaction score
Did a kit for Brew 1, and decided on doing a recipe for Brew 2. Worked with some others on the forum for my recipe for an APA and am happy with that, just wanted to review my general procedure. 45 minute boil (recipe calls for 30 min as first hop boil), 3g boil for 5g batch. DME is pale Muntons. Was going to do extra light and some steeping grains but LHBS said Pale would give me the color/biscuity flavor I was looking for and maltodextrin would give me body and mouthfeel.

1. Bring water to boil, add DME @45min
2. Hops 1 @30
3. Hops 2 @15
4. Hops 3 @10
5. Hops 4 and remaining DME @0
6. Wait five min before chilling to let flameout hops work, then chill quickly.
7. Strain into primary and pitch yeast.
8. Wait 2 weeks, add dry hops.
9. Wait 1 week, add 4oz maltodextin with priming sugar and bottle.
10. Wait and drink!

Big question is am I using maltodextrin correctly, and doing late addition right?

Not posting specific recipe because looking more for input on procedure but will happily provide if necessary, thanks!

Add your DME before it boils. Off the heat if you can. It will clump and burn on the bottom if it's not completely dissolved first. Can you rack to a secondary before you add the hops? It will help with clarity, but don't sweat it if you can't. Otherwise, looks good. I don't dry hop more than 10 days, not really necessary. Store at room temp, 70 deg. and it will carbonate faster. Wait a week, drink one. If it's not where you want it for carbonation, let it go another. Once it's carbed enough, fridge it and enjoy.
Most important - Relax, have a homebrew!

I personally prefer a 60 min boil. Also no hop addition at beginning of boil? You will get better Alpha Acid extraction with an earlier addition. I would ditch the 30 min addition and move it to the beginning of the boil. It too much of a tweener, you don't get good bittering or flavor at that time frame. I would also add the extra malt around the mid point of the brew, it will allow everything to come together a bit more and still increase your Alpha extraction.

Have fun making your own recipe is a blast.

JoshBlue74 said:
Add your DME before it boils. Off the heat if you can. It will clump and burn on the bottom if it's not completely dissolved first. Can you rack to a secondary before you add the hops? It will help with clarity, but don't sweat it if you can't. Otherwise, looks good. I don't dry hop more than 10 days, not really necessary. Store at room temp, 70 deg. and it will carbonate faster. Wait a week, drink one. If it's not where you want it for carbonation, let it go another. Once it's carbed enough, fridge it and enjoy.
Most important - Relax, have a homebrew!

Sounds good thanks! I'll mix pre-boil. No secondary vessel yet, was just going to stick to primary. Can finally have a homebrew now too!

All dme before boil, it will clump and burn if not. Agree with hops at 60 min(also 60min boil). 0 min hops are 0 min, if you leave it hot for 5, it will essential back all hop additions back 5 minutes, changing 15 minutes flavor/aroma hops to 20 more flavor less aroma, 10 min aroma hops to more flavor less aroma, ect. Hot wort continues to work on the hops. Else seems good! Enjoy and let us know.

Will back the 5 min post boil off, thought I'd read on here that if you put hops in and chill immediately you basically got nothing from them. Thanks!

Hop time additions came straight from the brewery whose recipe I am emulating so going to keep them that way for this first batch. My plan is to continually tweak this, as it's my favorite beer and I'd love to have a house version.

Will back the 5 min post boil off, thought I'd read on here that if you put hops in and chill immediately you basically got nothing from them. Thanks!

Hop time additions came straight from the brewery whose recipe I am emulating so going to keep them that way for this first batch. My plan is to continually tweak this, as it's my favorite beer and I'd love to have a house version.

You get very little flavor from is true, when I do 0 min hops, I add them quickly stir vigorously and move on. You will mostly get aroma. If its the recipe, try it. Then, try again. It will work out

The DME will clump when added,but will not go straight to the bottom. You stir while adding the DME to break up the clumps & dissolve it. It's LME that,being syrup,will go straight to the bottom. So it's added off the heat. DME is hydroscopic,so it soaks up moisture easilly.
I add the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out,since pasteurization happens at 162F. The wort is still plenty hot enough at flame out to do the job.

Back