Rain Day Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnman1971

Reaction score
I was told by a friend, who also is a beginner brewer, that brewing on a rainy day can produce negative results. Has anyone heard of such a thing? :drunk:

While I am also a beginner, I have never heard of that. I guess it might depend on if you brew outside and some rain could get into the wort. If you brew inside I don't see how it could affect anything. Maybe some of the more veteran people could answer this better.

Your friend sounds like an idiot. Don't hang out with him.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you're outside with an electric brewing system, then, yea, I can envision all kinds of potentially negative results.

I exclusively brew outside. I have brewed outside in the rain several times, as well as the snow. I refuse to let mildly inclement weather stop my fun. However, if there are super strong winds, or it's just a ridiculous downpour (hurricane season) then obviously I will just wait until another day for my own sanity's sake.

Other than electrical risks and you getting wet, I can't think of anything that could harm the beer.

I suppose if you're truly out in the rain, instead of in a garage or something, and water is falling into your kettle, then it'll mess up your boiloff rate and you could get water on a cast iron burner which --> rust.

If you're like me and a rainy day makes you feel listless.......

I only curse the rain while I'm chilling wort- otherwise no fear.

I'd much rather brew on a slightly rainy day than on a windy day.

Can't imagine how a little bit of rain would hurt the beer,

I could possibly see that the increased humidity might possibly affect boiloff rate, but it wouldn't think it would be by much, maybe a few ounces worth over an hour boil, bu other than that I couldn't see it doing anything (also presuming you're not letting any rainwater getting in.

The dryness of winter has me chasing boil off. Made a couple beers stronger than intended this year.

Back