Racking too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmac22

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and have two batches under my belt so far (started out with all grain) so I am still learning. I've read a lot on secondary fermentation and am not sold on it but I decided to try it out on this batch (Janet's Brown) because of the krausen mess in the primary bucket. Not thinking straight, I decided to rack to secondary and dry hop after 7 days in the primary and only taking one gravity reading. My OG was 1.065 or so and the reading I took tonight before racking to secondary was 1.012. Just wondering if I racked this too soon? I know I should have taken another gravity reading in a few days to ensure fermentation was completed but what's done is done. Just trying to learn for the future!

BTW I'm drinking a homebrew (first batch) and trying not not worry!

I'm sure your fine. I would leave it in the secondary for at least a week or two and maybe take some readings. If you are bottling and the fermentation isn't through, you could have ye ol bottle bombs you hear of. But with the OG and FG you posted, I think your fine. Enjoy.

I decided to try it out on this batch (Janet's Brown) because of the krausen mess in the primary bucket.

What's "krausen mess" and why would that be a reason to move the beer to a secondary?

You're probably fine at 1.012

What's "krausen mess" and why would that be a reason to move the beer to a secondary?

You're probably fine at 1.012

Krausen hadn't fallen completely. I know it wouldn't hurt the hops i was using for dry hopping but something just didn't seem right about putting them in the krausen that was still present. I think I'll be fine after rationalizing over a few homebrews :mug:

Krausen hadn't fallen completely. I know it wouldn't hurt the hops i was using for dry hopping but something just didn't seem right about putting them in the krausen that was still present. I think I'll be fine after rationalizing over a few homebrews :mug:

The krausen still atop the beer is a sign that it's not quite done fermenting yet. You can dry hop just fine in the primary, but first allow the fermentation to completely finish.:mug:

Back