Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pclarks

Reaction score
I imagine adding putting a filter or sanitized cheese cloth on the bottom of the racking cane would help with accidental transfer of the grunge during wort transfer but would it filter other stuff as well and affect the wort?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you do that then you have to make sure you don't splash as this will cause oxidation and make sure it's sanitary. The other problem is that if you are filtering out a lot of gunk then it will clog up and stop the siphon. It's possible that it would filter out some yeast but probably not enough to matter.

Yes, but I find it's generally not worth the trouble. Some people use pantyhose. You don't want something so fine it will clog, and trub is going to make it through anyway, so the return on your PITA is not so good.

For your final beer racking, try gelatin instead. In addition to clearing your beer it firms up your cake so less makes it through. For the initial rack to primary, don't worry so much about what goes in, it will settle to the bottom.

Back