Question regarding secondary fermentation container.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persinger

Reaction score
I have an apple porter (my first batch!) that is approaching the point of needing to be put into a secondary fermentation container. My original plan was to use the glass carboy that came with my brewing kit for this purpose, however I got ahead of myself and currently have a red ale in primary fermentation sitting in the carboy. :drunk:

So my question is this:

Would it be acceptable to rack my porter to my bottling bucket, clean and sanitize the bucket that the porter went through primary fermentation in, and then rack it back into that container? Or would that provide too much exposure to oxygen?

Thanks guys.

the hardest part would be limiting the air that would be added with that much transfer. If possible I would purchase another carboy then tranfer your porter.
if that is not an option they just be very quite when transfering back into you vessal. Do this very slowly.
You don't say but i'm guessing that this bucket has a lid?

houndhome1 said:
the hardest part would be limiting the air that would be added with that much transfer. If possible I would purchase another carboy then tranfer your porter.
if that is not an option they just be very quite when transfering back into you vessal. Do this very slowly.
You don't say but i'm guessing that this bucket has a lid?

The bottling bucket does not have a lid, but the primary fermenting bucket does have a lid.

I'm probably just going to end up buying another carboy. I don't think the porter will suffer from sitting in primary for a few more days.

Latest posts

Back