Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyjackson

Reaction score
It has been 7 days after bottling our first homebrew. Just wondering, does it matter what the kind of style beer might need longer to settle for better taste quality? It is a pale ale me and my friends started off with. We want to wait 5 or 6 weeks, would this make for a better quality/taste?

With most beers, the longer you allow them to condition, the better they'll taste. A few exceptions are IPAs and Wheat beers which should be drank fresh. I find that with most other ales of typical gravity (1.040-1.070), they taste best between 3-6 months of conditioning. I've had some bigger beers though that have taken over a year to hit they're peak.

Waiting that long probably will make a better taste in the brew, however, if you try it 2-3 weeks in the bottle you will gain valuable experience in how beer ages in the bottle. Waiting 5-6 weeks you might not get a taste for green beer, which is helpful when you want to drink a beer younger and you need to taste test if it is ready. Most of my beers come into peak 4-5 weeks into the bottle. That is after 4 weeks of aging in the primary. I do not think I could wait to try a beer 5-6 weeks in the bottle. Trying beers for the first time is almost as exciting as brew day for myself.

With most beers, the longer you allow them to condition, the better they'll taste. A few exceptions are IPAs and Wheat beers which should be drank fresh. I find that with most other ales of typical gravity (1.040-1.070), they taste best between 3-6 months of conditioning. I've had some bigger beers though that have taken over a year to hit they're peak.

And milds!

Waiting that long probably will make a better taste in the brew, however, if you try it 2-3 weeks in the bottle you will gain valuable experience in how beer ages in the bottle. Waiting 5-6 weeks you might not get a taste for green beer, which is helpful when you want to drink a beer younger and you need to taste test if it is ready. Most of my beers come into peak 4-5 weeks into the bottle. That is after 4 weeks of aging in the primary. I do not think I could wait to try a beer 5-6 weeks in the bottle. Trying beers for the first time is almost as exciting as brew day for myself.

I agree completely. You will notice a big difference between 2 weeks and 5 weeks. But if I'm bottling, I always try one after 2 weeks. You just can't help it.

Back