plastic questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apologeticus

Reaction score
1) a friend told me that I should stay away from plastic fermenters because they will inevitably leech tastes of previous beers into your beer after a while. Is this true? Even of Better Bottles?

2) Do things like funnels, that will only have a limited contact time with beer/ingredients, still need to be food grade?

1) many people use plastic and have no problems. Some folks change out their plastic every so often, others continue using them for many years. its up to you.

2) not that I know of. I have been using a funnel that I got from home depot a year ago and have never even thought about it until now.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

Your friend is full of it and what he is telling your is not true either of buckets or BB.
I would only use food grade funnels because if you are pour warm wort through it, it may leach chemicals. It may not but why take a chance.

Your friend is full of it and what he is telling your is not true either of buckets or BB.
I would only use food grade funnels because if you are pour warm wort through it, it may leach chemicals. It may not but why take a chance.

^^^^^^

10 characters

Plastic buckets over time will allow air to seep in. But over a 2 or 3 week period as a pimary fermentor you are fine. I wouldn't even think of lagering in a plastic bucket.

Latest posts

Back