Peaches and Cream Stout, will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingflannel

Reaction score
I have been brewing for over a year, making my own recipes, with pretty decent success. A friend of mine wants to get in to brewing and I said, lets make something fun.

After much drinking and deliberation, peaches and cream stout.

5 gal batch, 5 gal boil, 60 min boil
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.015
IBU: 32
SRM: 32
Est ABV: 6%

6.6 lb Maris Otter LME
1 lb Milk Sugar
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Malted Oats
.5 oz Biscuit Malt
.25 oz Roasted Barley
.25 oz CaraMunich
.75 oz (or 30ish IBU) Nugget hops
American Ale yeast

Going to puree 4 lb of frozen peaches, put them in during the second week of secondary.

1-2 weeks in primary
3 weeks in secondary.

This is new waters to me so any suggestions or tips would be appriciated.

OK, you've got to let us know how this turns out. I love stout, and I love peaches, but can't see the combination. That's some creativity there and I would love to hear how it tastes.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think this will be brewed within the next couple of weeks. Then I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I made a peaches and cream beer about 4 years ago and it turned out amazing. I do realize you are using a stout not a cream ale but I used 10lb of peaches and it sat in the secondary for 3 weeks with what most said was a perfect amount of peach flavor. I also racked to a tertiary after the peaches for a week to clear.

Keep us updated on it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

@rorypayne do you still have your peaches and cream recipe? I mentioned it to my SWMBO and she was quite interested. So I think I'm going to have to make something like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

9# pale malt
3# flaked corn
3# flaked rice

2oz fuggle 60min
.5oz cascade 10

Wlp 080 cream ale yeast blend

Adjunct
Step mash 3lb pale with rice and corn 113* 10 min
Heat to 149* 10 min rest 30
Boil 30 min

6lb pale single infusion 159* 60 min

Add adjunct to main mash for mash out

I fly sparged at the time but you could surely batch sparge.

10 day primary
2 week secondary with 10lb skinned pitted puréed peaches
1 week tertiary to clear

Keg or bottle. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I used two mash tuns to run the adjunct and main mash simultaneously.

What is the batch size for that recipe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

It looks like a 5gal recipe. Also I find weird to use marris otter with this. The biscuity / nutty flavor doesn't go very well with the peach. But that's just a personnal opinion. I would use a simple pale malt as base with Vienna malt.

I was hoping the biscuity would almost give it something like a cobbler kinda taste/feel. Really everything on this stout is going to be an experiment. 1 week til brew day.

It is a 5 gallon batch. I used a thin mash at 2qt/lb. like I said it was amazing!

I am doing a peach cobbler cream ale currently. I used frozen peaches. I added them at the height of fermentation on day 4. They have been sitting like that for a week. Any suggestions on how much longer to leave them before moving to secondary?

Relax. Have a beer!

Days and weeks of fermenting times are inconsistent. If your secondary with the added fruit hasn't finished after three weeks (hydrometer reading) and you rack out of there early, you can probably count on gushers, and or bottle bombs. I know this from personal experience, as I had both issues.
I will say from my history of making flavored beers, as time goes on, added flavors get stronger. When you get to the bottling bucket time, and you think you need "just a little more" of "X" flavor, before bottling, do your self a favor, if it needs a "little more" flavor, stop right there, and call it good. I realize some may disagree with me and that is okay by me. A couple of months ago, I brewed a Triple Chocolate Stout using chocolate malt, cocoa powder, and Turani sugar free chocolate syrup. I thought I learned my lesson from the last time. Last time I added 4 tablespoons of real vanilla to 5 gallons at bottling, and thought I nailed it. I did nail it, with way too much vanilla flavor overpowering everything else. In this TC Stout, I added 2 tablespoons of real vanilla, and now time has passed 2 tablespoons were too much also for my taste. Sorry for the long post, I have ADHD. The short version is, Apricot extract is a perfect compliment to use with the peaches.

Just my two cents, I did a peach/apricot wheat beer a while back. I puréed the fruit and it was a b!tch to deal with. I've done quite a few fruit beers (watermelon, raspberry, tart cherries, pineapple, etc) and never had issues, but for some reason with this batch I couldn't get the fruit to settle out. I think I ended up with 3/8 of an inch of purée at the bottom of each bottle. I decided if I ever did it again I'd cut them up into small chunks and maybe even bag them, but I'd never purée them again.

http://microbusbrewery.org

Doesn't look like anyone noticed, so ill mention it: i really doubt 1/2 oz of malted oats and biscuit, and 1/4 oz is going to be nearly enough to get the flavors youre looking for. i suspect you may have meant 1/2 lb and 1/4 lb, or 8 oz and 4 oz. If that was the case, then you are good to go

Doesn't look like anyone noticed, so ill mention it: i really doubt 1/2 oz of malted oats and biscuit, and 1/4 oz is going to be nearly enough to get the flavors youre looking for. i suspect you may have meant 1/2 lb and 1/4 lb, or 8 oz and 4 oz. If that was the case, then you are good to go

Oh... you are right. I must not have paid attention when I was writing it. For all specialty grains it should be fractions of a pound, not of an ounce.

Just brewed it, got an OG of 1.065 so a little higher cool. This batch had a little boil over but still came out about perfect. I am gonna put peaches in secondary along with 2 vanilla beans.

Days and weeks of fermenting times are inconsistent. If your secondary with the added fruit hasn't finished after three weeks (hydrometer reading) and you rack out of there early, you can probably count on gushers, and or bottle bombs. I know this from personal experience, as I had both issues.
I will say from my history of making flavored beers, as time goes on, added flavors get stronger. When you get to the bottling bucket time, and you think you need "just a little more" of "X" flavor, before bottling, do your self a favor, if it needs a "little more" flavor, stop right there, and call it good. I realize some may disagree with me and that is okay by me. A couple of months ago, I brewed a Triple Chocolate Stout using chocolate malt, cocoa powder, and Turani sugar free chocolate syrup. I thought I learned my lesson from the last time. Last time I added 4 tablespoons of real vanilla to 5 gallons at bottling, and thought I nailed it. I did nail it, with way too much vanilla flavor overpowering everything else. In this TC Stout, I added 2 tablespoons of real vanilla, and now time has passed 2 tablespoons were too much also for my taste. Sorry for the long post, I have ADHD. The short version is, Apricot extract is a perfect compliment to use with the peaches.

When did u add The Toriani syrup?

Alright, sorry I haven't said anything for a while. Here's the updates. While brewing this it wanted to boil over almost every 10 minutes, so I had to keep watch on it. The OG ended up being 1.065. That night the airlock launched of of the fermenter, but I caught it pretty with in a few hours.

The samples of the unpeached beer in primary were excellent. Sweet, smooth, chocolatey with a nice little bitter finish.

With the peaches added it almost seemed like a faux sour, the tartness of the peaches added an interesting aspeact, now I'm letting it chill, hoping that will settle.

Also might rack a gallon off, bourbon soaked oak with it. Probably use Fighting Cock (my favorite rot-gut) I blame high school. Still "Peaches & Cock" is a great name.

Tasted it again tonight, gonna bottle (finally) but this is pretty nice. The base stout will probably be a keeper on its own. The peaches have mellowed, making it refreshing actually.

Back