Oxygenation kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a simple O2 kit from Northern Brewer. Is an inline filter needed for pure O2?

no. pure oxygen is sterile or at least close to it. no need to filter. you do need to keep your diffuser stone clean, however.

h22lude said:
I'm looking to get a simple O2 kit from Northern Brewer. Is an inline filter needed for pure O2?

Do make sure that it comes with a diffusion stone.

I have used it both ways... seems to make no difference.

The HEPA filter case cracked last week on brew day... I have no intention of replacing it.

You don't need a filter for O2. Oxygen kills germs on contact. You DO need a filter if you are just using an air pump for aeration.

Diffusion stones come in two pore sizes: 0.5 micron and 2 micron. The 0.5 micron generates much smaller bubbles, which helps dissolve more O2 in the wort. But it is more prone to clogging. Don't handle either size stone with bare hands, as oils from your skin can clog the pores. I keep mine wrapped in a baggie when not in use.

BTW, shop around on those O2 systems, as the prices/shipping can vary. Give William's Brewing, Austin and Morebeer a look too.

Thanks for the replies.

I do like the one from William's Brewing because of the wand but it is a little more expensive and it comes with a 2 micron stone. The one at Northern Brewer doesn't have the wand but it is cheaper. It doesn't say what size stone it comes with. I may email them. Austin is the same as NB but for $1 more and comes with a 2 micron stone.

Edit: NB got back to me (very quick response time). It comes with .5 so I think that is the one I will be getting. Though many people seemed to have problems with it clogging but I think with good handling care and cleaning after each use it should last a while.

Thanks for the replies.

I do like the one from William's Brewing because of the wand but it is a little more expensive and it comes with a 2 micron stone. The one at Northern Brewer doesn't have the wand but it is cheaper. It doesn't say what size stone it comes with. I may email them. Austin is the same as NB but for $1 more and comes with a 2 micron stone.

Edit: NB got back to me (very quick response time). It comes with .5 so I think that is the one I will be getting. Though many people seemed to have problems with it clogging but I think with good handling care and cleaning after each use it should last a while.

I prefer the wand over just tubing as that makes it easier for me to move it around the bottom of my fermenter while oxygenating. Just personal preference.

I use a 0.5 micron stone and haven't had clogging problems, but there's a little maintenance required. Before each use I boil it in a small pot of water for a few minutes to sanitize it. Afterwards I boil it again for a few minutes to clean out the wort. At the end of boiling I blow O2 through it for a couple seconds to make sure all the gunk gets forced out. You don't want sticky wort drying inside those pores.

Sounds like a PITA, and it's probably overkill, but you don't want to discover the stone isn't passing O2 on brew day.

Back