overprimed a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
So i added 1 full cup of honey to prime a keg of hefe. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. I know Ican let up the valve every couple days, but I don't want to let it all out. Any ideas for for how I can make this carbed right at the end? I can force carb it later, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Short of attaching a bleeder valve with a gauge, it would be rather difficult to be certain what the keg pressure is.

If you're using a constant pressure to dispense, there is no reason to worry, as the dissolved CO2 concentration will ultimately reach equilibrium based on the temperature of the beer and the dispensing pressure. Just let off pressure every few days, and set to 8-12 psi, based on your personal preference.

In the future, unless you are doing it specifically for the differences in flavor that can result with keg refermentation, it is much easier just to force carbonate. Just set the keg to 8-12 psi and it will carb in 7-10 days. Alternatively, you can set it to 30 psi and it will carb in a day or two.

I just primed b/c it is a hefe and I wanted all that yeast yummyness in there. I guess I can hook up the reg and cut off the co2 and see what happens.

Back