Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > overprimed a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default overprimed a keg

So i added 1 full cup of honey to prime a keg of hefe. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. I know Ican let up the valve every couple days, but I don't want to let it all out. Any ideas for for how I can make this carbed right at the end? I can force carb it later, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Short of attaching a bleeder valve with a gauge, it would be rather difficult to be certain what the keg pressure is.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
kevmoron
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you're using a constant pressure to dispense, there is no reason to worry, as the dissolved CO2 concentration will ultimately reach equilibrium based on the temperature of the beer and the dispensing pressure. Just let off pressure every few days, and set to 8-12 psi, based on your personal preference.

In the future, unless you are doing it specifically for the differences in flavor that can result with keg refermentation, it is much easier just to force carbonate. Just set the keg to 8-12 psi and it will carb in 7-10 days. Alternatively, you can set it to 30 psi and it will carb in a day or two.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just primed b/c it is a hefe and I wanted all that yeast yummyness in there. I guess I can hook up the reg and cut off the co2 and see what happens.

Quick Reply