Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ordered liquid yeast, it arrived warm...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
trireme32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ordered liquid yeast, it arrived warm...

I am preparing to start my first brew. I ordered a vial of liquid Burton yeast. When it arrived and I took it out of the mailbox, the package was warm and the included ice pack had thawed. Should I be worried that the yeast is dead and will not work properly? I did get it in the fridge as quickly as possible, but it may have been in the hot mailbox for a day or 2...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's always a good idea to make a starter with your liquid yeasts, especially when ordered via mail in the summer. Yes, the pack loses some viability, but it won't kill off all the yeast. The starter will get the yeast going plus help increase the total number of cells you'll be able to pitch.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Only way to know for sure is to make a starter. If the starter gets going, your yeast is OK. That being said, an issue like this is exactly why I only get liquid yeast at a LHBS...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

When you make your starter, you will be making one won't you?, you will know.
How hot does it get in the mailbox. I think that unless you got over 100° it should be ok.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You have a few options .... Go buy another vial of yeast locally, use the one you have and definately make a starter always make a starter or lastly pitch the tube or pack the way it is ( not reccomended ). Good luck.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1458 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
Only way to know for sure is to make a starter. If the starter gets going, your yeast is OK. That being said, an issue like this is exactly why I only get liquid yeast at a LHBS...
+1

I made the mistake of ordering a couple Wyeast smack packs during that really nasty heat wave that hit most of the country last summer. They were hot to the touch and already swollen once I got them. Made starters with both, one was extremely sluggish to start, and the other was DOA. Last time I make that mistake, and always buy em locally or at least online ordering only during cool weather.

Don't know how hot the OPs yeast got, there's a good chance that it'll still be viable, but you'll absolutely want to make a starter.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

It's probably fine. Remember, when it's hot out, there's still active yeast all over stuff in nature. A big pile of yeast in a container probably isn't going to be any worse off than yeast baking under the sun in the middle of summer.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

hot mailbox? hot damn.

funny story.. I pitched high quality yeast into gallons and gallons of hot liquid ... probably around 105F and it was not a cellular holocaust, no. It was good, and the townspeople rejoiced a few hours later when the yeast pumped out co2 like there was no next day.

I love being a noob.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
gugguson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

I would guess that it is impossible to determine how much the viability of the pack has reduced even with a starter, am I correct? To make a starter and get to a good cell count you would need to have a good ballpark of the viability ... or what do you guys say?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
trireme32
Recipes 

Ok so I tried making a starter... 5.25oz of DME in 1.5ltr of water that had been boiled, moved to a sanitized glass container, pitched the yeast at 75F, covered loosely with sanitized foil, gave it some good shaking, and waited... Then waited some more. 24 hours later, absolutely no activity. Same color, 0 bubbles, no line on the glass. I'm thinking the vial must have just been completely dead... A shame, really... At any rate, I could not wait another 24 hours to get the brew started, so I bought a fresh vial from a nearby-ish brew shop. Pitched it, and first bubbles seen 5 hours later. 24 hours later and my airlock sounds like an analog clock on crack.

Quick Reply