New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A Newbie and The WAITING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
BMan1029
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I remember the first kit me and my buddy brewed. We brewed and were drinking in 4 days later.

Waiting is hard. Brew often to keep your pipeline full and also keep trying out commercial examples

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

2 fermentors isnt enough... you need like... 5, atleast 5, or 6. MORE BEERS

Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

You'll get used to it - once you get a pipeline up and running you'll forget about the beer in the fermenter and then be waiting on the beer bottle conditioning, and soon enough you'll have a pipeline where you won't "wait" for beer to drink. I did two batches on the same weekend, and then didn't keep my pipeline going.

What a mistake! Keep that pipeline going, atleast brew a batch once a month, if not two. I'm shooting for one every other week.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
jerryboy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

A pipeline is nice because you will have beers in all stages. It seems easier to wait two weeks when the next fv was just filled. But in the gaps, go out and buy some "research" beer.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want something productive to do while it's fermenting, work on keeping the wort fermentation temperature at the optimum. I find that a swamp cooler does a good job, but it takes a lot of attention, depending on the time of year/ambient temperature.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
Mknox4354
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkdud76
Being a newbie, I find the hardest part of brewin is the waiting. The day after I brew I find myself checking on the beer more often than I probably should. I've brewed 4 batches of beer and found myself either; 1. Transferring from primary to secondary to soon, or 2. Bottling to soon. Should I brew MORE so something is always going on? How much brew on hand is too much? Is this turning into an addiction? Good or Bad?
Yes it is turning into an addiction. And it is good and bad ha. I think patience just comes with getting some more under your belt. When I first started brewing I was a psycho about checking things. I have slowly just learned to relax and let the beer do its things. Yes getting a nice pipeline going will help feed the addiction ha. Is that a real question ? There is never too much beer on hand. Jk. Reading on here and just checking out what other people are doing and different methods is fun, but also dangerous. I see things people get or make and then I get jealous. Next thing you know I'm spending money because I had to have whatever they had ha. Well good luck to you bud. You doing AG or extract by the way?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryboy View Post
A pipeline is nice because you will have beers in all stages. It seems easier to wait two weeks when the next fv was just filled. But in the gaps, go out and buy some "research" beer.
+1

Turns out that the "research" is one of my favorite parts of the hobby! I've also learned a lot more about beer than I would have otherwise. I had no idea what a "Dortmunder Export" was until I went and bought six different varieties to see if I wanted to make one of my own (I don't, but it was fun (and buzz-inducing) to figure that out). I think I can tell the difference between an English Pale Ale, an English Bitter, and an Extra Special Bitter just by taste after the "research" I did on that front.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

The more beer you have the easier it is to be patient, 3 primaries, 2 secondaries and 14 cases of beer in cold storage along with a full fridge, yup I like being patient!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #19
jaytizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Agreed with all of the above. I've been at it for precisely three weeks today. I have one beer that I am going to keg soon, another that is 2 weeks in and will be kegged in about 2 weeks, and yet another that is going to secondary next weekend (porter to rack over vanilla beans). This is the first weekend that I haven't brewed since I started!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Milkdud76
Recipes 

Thanks everyone. Will definitely be building a pipeline. Brewed a chimay last week and doing a hefeweizen next weekend.

Does anyone know where I can get lid for the 6 gal plastic bucket?

Primary- Hard Apple Cider

Primary-Bavarian Wheat

Bottled- Honey Pilsner

Quick Reply