NC brewers, Where do you buy grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
I currently live in Fayetteville NC about an hour from the Raleigh-Durham area. I've been brewing from extract for almost a year and am making the switch to all-grain after the holidays. I am curious as to where people in the area are buying their grains? On-line or in store? I'd greatly appreciate any information/advice.

I'm in Concord. Alternative Beverage is "local" but still about a 40min drive for me. You can buy online from them. I've been to their Morrisville store a couple times, it's quite big and they have been engaging and helpful when I visited. Everything was clean and professional, I'd have no worries ordering from them. http://ebrew.com/

TBH I buy from Brewmaster's Warehouse in Atlanta, and the standard FedEx shipping gets here next day since Charlotte is only about a 4hr drive. I like their brew builder with the "buy recipe" option.

Thanks guys. I've heard that bull city brew is a great place. Do you find it's cheaper to order grains online or does it quickly become negated secondary to shipping costs?

If you can, check out bull city home brew (referenced above). Locally owned (obviously) and really great grain prices, good guys too. You can email a recipe and they will crush and bag it for you. The grain room has a lot of varieties and lots of volume. Between the price, convenience and locality I really can't justify ordering on line.

Right off 40 near southpoint mall.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I second Brewmaster's Warehouse and also Rebel Brewer in Goodletsville TN. Rebel has a nice base grain called Maltentrop for about .89 lb with decent shipping to NC.

Thanks for the replies. The little research i've done for AG purchases online seem to always end up balancing out to local prices because of shipping costs. I take it most NC brewers are buying local. If you are buying online what websites are your "go-to".

If you can, check out bull city home brew (referenced above). Locally owned (obviously) and really great grain prices, good guys too. You can email a recipe and they will crush and bag it for you. The grain room has a lot of varieties and lots of volume. Between the price, convenience and locality I really can't justify ordering on line.

Right off 40 near southpoint mall.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Seconded. Just found the store recently. Good guys. Good prices.

:off: how many triad brewers do we have on this forum?

I live in Winston-Salem. Been buying my grain at 5th Season in Greensboro. City Beverage has it but I need it crushed and they are a little high. I have bought grain at Triad home brew in greensboro as well but they are more expensive than 5th season.

I am in Fayetteville as well actually. I just started brewing a couple months ago, but I am already hooked. If you ever want to get together and sample beers I would be down. Send me a message and we can exchange information.

I am in Fayetteville as well actually. I just started brewing a couple months ago, but I am already hooked. If you ever want to get together and sample beers I would be down. Send me a message and we can exchange information.

Also in fay. But I do wine. I get all my stuff from Grapes and Hops over on Ramsey St. do you know where to go get bulk wheat? I wanted to try a batch of wheat wine.

I live close to RDU so about midway between Bull City and American Brewmaster. Both are good shops with good folks but I tend to go to American more often than Bull.

I am in cary and since going to bull city, I haven't gone anywhere else. They are unique as they will sell you grains by the ounce, with no minimum, oh and the prices are great and you help support a local business.

I am in cary and since going to bull city, I haven't gone anywhere else. They are unique as they will sell you grains by the ounce, with no minimum, oh and the prices are great and you help support a local business.

I'm in Cary also. Yes, both American and Bull City are good. I've only used American for CO2 fill ups before I started homebrewing. Now, I'm using Bull City, easier for me to get to, buying his "discount t-shirt" yields a 10% discount and I like supporting the LHBS as much as I can...

Back