Is my porter messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPAbrewing

Reaction score
So I think i made 2 major mistakes and need to know if I should just dump out the beer in the carboy and start over :(

1) I forgot to take the yeast out of the fridge until right before I added it to the carboy so it was cold.

2) I added the yeast to wort that was at 60 degrees F instead of between 70 to 75 degrees.

There appears to be no activity in the carboy and I just made the beer last night. Usually i'm seeing active fermentation taking place, but i think i may have killed the yeast or something. Please advise! Thank you!

Not to worry: I think the beer will take off eventually.

You probably the shocked the yeast a bit with the sudden temperature change, but I'm willing to bet many survived and are currently reproducing to adequate numbers. It's just taking them longer. Always better to pitch too cool than too warm.

What kind of yeast are you using? My guess is 70 - 75 is out of range for the yeast anyway, so you did a good thing pitching at 60F. I, and many others, pitch many beers at that temperature and allow the beer to gradually warm as fermentation peaks. This promotes increased activity, rather than starting high and cooling which creates a decrease in activity and could cause some yeast to drop out of suspension.

Thanks! that makes me feel a lot better! I do have it in a closet downstairs that seems pretty cool anyways (maybe around 65). This may sound silly, but should i put a space heater by it to warm it up a bit then?

I used white labs' European Ale yeast.

The range for that yeast is 65 - 70. Given that ambient temp in the closet is 65, I wouldn't attempt to warm it any more: it will warm with the room temp.

Try to stay within the low end of the yeast: IMO you'll be better off. Just keep an eye on it because if 65 is ambient temp, peak fermentation temperatures could get 5 - 10 degrees warmer (fermentation is exothermic.) 5 more degrees would be pushing it close; any more and you could be getting some off-flavors.

Also, read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Every commercial brewery I have worked in pitched cold yeast... either straight from a crashed tank or right out of the cooler, no issues there. 60F might be a little low for the particular yeast, but they are funny creatures... most ales do just fine at 60F. I'm sure your beer will be more than fine

The last batch I made I pitched the yeast right from the refrigerator into 60 degree wort. It took about 36 hours to show signs of activity and then it took off just fine. If you haven't seen any sign of activity in 72 hours then you can start to worry but don't worry too much, just pitch new yeast. Relax a bit, yeast know what to do and they do it a little slower when you are at the lower end of their preferred range.

Good news! The fermentation took off this morning! There is lots of activity now. Thanks so much for the advice and reassurance! Can't wait until it is ready!

Good to hear your fermentation started. Yeast is fine at cooler temperatures (ale yeasts), it is usually dormant or has very slow activity. Excessive heat is what can kill yeast. As others have said, it's better to have a cooler wort than a hot wort when adding yeast.

Latest posts

Back