Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer tastes horrible!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharper13 View Post
I don't think the problem isn't the smell from the glass you pour them in the issue is if they are washed after sanitized they aren't sanitized anymore so you may have gotten an infection in the so its not directly related to the taste of the jet dry
+1

This has nothing to do with the jet dry.

If anything, it's just the fact that you sprayed (bacteria laden) water into the bottles after you sanitized them by putting them in the dishwasher. You de-sanitized your sanitized bottles. Maybe. That's one possibility.

I haven't seen it asked yet, but what kind of sanitizer do you use anyway?

Also, as previously asked, how long did your beers sit at room temp in the bottles before you put them into fridge?

This could be infection.
This could be phenols if a bleach sanitizer was used.
This could just be "green" beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
blizzard
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I have sanitized bottles in the dishwasher many times, but not with Jet Dry. Still, it could be an infection. But as Walker said, more info would be helpful.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
Skaggz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abazin
I have sanitized bottles in the dishwasher many times, but not with Jet Dry. Still, it could be an infection. But as Walker said, more info would be helpful.
It doesn't sound like he used the dishwasher to sanitize his bottles. Rather, he rinsed them in the dishwasher after sanitizing them by other means.

Primary 1: Apfelwine
Primary 2: Buddy's Brown Porter
Primary 3: "Brown" Hefeweizen (oops?)
Primary 4: Chocolate Stout

Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #14
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesssman View Post
I would take a bottle down to your local home brew supply place and let them taste it. They will probably be able to tell you what the problem is. Short of that, I would say it got some contamination when you rinsed them after sanitizing. When I was bottling I used iodophor to sanitize and then, drained them and let them dry up side down in six pack cartons. I put paper towels in the bottom of the cartons to absorb what little liquid would come out.
This is a great idea... I don't know why I didn't think of this myself. I'll report back when I do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntOrngeLonghorn84 View Post
What temperature did you ferment and bottle condition at?
I fermented at 70 degree room temp (though during the active fermentation, the temperature of the beer rose to about 73 degrees).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
+1

This has nothing to do with the jet dry.

If anything, it's just the fact that you sprayed (bacteria laden) water into the bottles after you sanitized them by putting them in the dishwasher. You de-sanitized your sanitized bottles. Maybe. That's one possibility.

I haven't seen it asked yet, but what kind of sanitizer do you use anyway?

Also, as previously asked, how long did your beers sit at room temp in the bottles before you put them into fridge?

This could be infection.
This could be phenols if a bleach sanitizer was used.
This could just be "green" beer.
I read (on this forum actually ) that using the dishwasher on the high heat cycle is just as effective as using a sanitizer... I figured I'd be able to rinse out all the sanitizer I used and do an 'extra sanitizing step' by using the dishwasher on the high heat setting (which incidentally is called 'sanitize' on my dishwasher). I also wanted to rinse off the sanitizer to avoid any off tastes, even though it says it is not necessary to rinse.

I used one step sanitizer.

The beer was in the primary for one week, the secondary for two weeks, and in the bottles at room temp for five weeks now (plus a little over a week in the fridge now).

I had thought this may just be green beer... the problem is that I do not know what 'green' beer tastes like!

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Suppose this could be a problem with oxidation? That tends to build up after bottling, and leaves an unpleasant flat flavor in the beer. If so, it has nothing to do with the dishwasher.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If it's 8 weeks old, then this isn't "green beer".

As for the dishwasher, yes I've seen it discussed... and debated.... on here way too many times. Some people say it works great, some people say it doesn't work at all.

If you have a no-rinse sanitizer, you might as well trust it, right?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 AM   #17
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used a dish washer to sanitize but you dont wantto put anything else in just let the hot water do the work. Adding soap or jet dry can cause the infection. But if you have no rinse that would be better anyway.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #18
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless you know the precise temperature and amount of time the dishwasher spends at the "sanitizer" setting, I wouldn't use the dishwasher to sanitize. Either use a proven no rinse sanitizer at correct concentration along with a bottle tree or another way to keep bacteria from reentering in the bottles or use dry heat (baking the bottles in the oven).

I would then bleach the hell out of anything plastic or soft that touched the beer at bottling or replace them. I also question the cleanliness of whatever room the bottling took place. I wipe everything that might come into contact with the beer with a strong bleach solution (counters, faucet) and put away the dishes/trash/assorted stuff away when I'm bottling, just to reduce as much as possible potential airborne/contact contaminants.

It doesn't take a scientist to realize that decent beer in the bottling bucket that turns into an horrible concoction that reaks of fungus afterwards means something went wrong there and not before. I've tasted oxidized brews before an they really do take a carboard flavour. It's like munching on an old, wet phonebook, not at all like OP is describing.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #19
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
Unless you know the precise temperature and amount of time the dishwasher spends at the "sanitizer" setting, I wouldn't use the dishwasher to sanitize. Either use a proven no rinse sanitizer at correct concentration along with a bottle tree or another way to keep bacteria from reentering in the bottles or use dry heat (baking the bottles in the oven).

I would then bleach the hell out of anything plastic or soft that touched the beer at bottling or replace them. I also question the cleanliness of whatever room the bottling took place. I wipe everything that might come into contact with the beer with a strong bleach solution (counters, faucet) and put away the dishes/trash/assorted stuff away when I'm bottling, just to reduce as much as possible potential airborne/contact contaminants.

It doesn't take a scientist to realize that decent beer in the bottling bucket that turns into an horrible concoction that reaks of fungus afterwards means something went wrong there and not before. I've tasted oxidized brews before an they really do take a carboard flavour. It's like munching on an old, wet phonebook, not at all like OP is describing.
I'm very anal about wiping off all my counters and sinks with a new sponge and bleach before getting started. I then sanitize everything else with the one step. I'm not saying that I couldn't have screwed up something (most likely I did), but from watching many, many youtube videos online, I feel that I am much more 'sterile' than nearly any of their procedures.

This certainly does not taste like old phonebook or cardboard (well, how I would imagine those tasting )

I will trust my sanitizer for my subsequent batches and skip the dishwasher for sure.

It sounds as though I contaminated something from the sounds of the responses. Is there another explanation for my description of the beer? If not, I guess I'll have to assume I contaminated my beer somehow.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #20
blizzard
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

It does sound like you have an infection, but it won't hurt anything to give the bottles more time to be sure. I would hang on to them for a few more months before dumping them. Meanwhile, get that pipeline filled!

Quick Reply