Mutating Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likwidbliss

Reaction score
I don't know if what happened today will cause a mutation on my beer. I was cooling my wort with a chiller and whammy it busted at the hose connection. Wort was still scalding hot about 200 F. I didn't have enough ice to bring it down fast enough. I filled the bath tub with water and put in the entire kettle, wife was understanding. Anyway it is a lemongrass wheat from ABS. It sat in the tub for nearly 30 minutes before I could pitch the yeast. I know it isn 't ideal, but how will this affect my beer flavor, so far it smells good. In the end I will drink this beer mutated or not.

:rockin:

You should be good. I cool mine the same way and haven't had any problems. Hope to get a chiller some time to speed things up though. Good luck.

Did the water from the broken chiller get into the wort? If not, it'll be fine. If so, there is a very slim chance you can get an infection, but with the wort still at 200º, you should be fine.

I had my immersion chiller leak nearly a half gallon of cold tap water into my wort, and this was through a vinyl hose that was anything but sanitized.

Was one of the best beers I've made, though the OG was a couple points low with the extra water.

No foreign water entered my wort. The chiller is homemade and it exploded at the hose between the copper and the fitting to the facet. The hose is rather long so no water got in. I figured it would be fine, but wasn't sure if the high temperature for a longer time would affect the aroma hops. It is fermenting very peacefully and smells like lemon grass, mmmmmmmmmm! in the meantime I am going to drink a mojito!

Back