moving with a full secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator_brewer

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of doing my 1st barely wine. Now I know they take months in the secondary, but I know I'm going to be moving at the end of April. My secondary is a glass carboy, so I'm not too afraid of it spilling or anything like that, but mainly if traveling (~600 miles by car) all the bumps and what not will mess it up.

Should I just plan a different beer that I'll bottle before the move and put off the barely wine, or am I just over thinking this.

Thanks

I had a batch of Apfelwein in a 5 gal glass carboy when I moved this summer. Granted only 20 min. away. I put mine in a milk crate and seatbelted it in the front passenger seat.

600 mi. is a lot of shaking though. If your airlock was never disturbed and you have only C02 in the headspace, you'll prolly be fine.

Make your barleywine the first brew in your new home, IMO. Just brew something smaller in the meantime.

Is getting into a kegging system a possibility for ya?

There's no way I'd even consider moving 600 miles with a beer in a carboy - but if you secondary in a keg...

Just a thought if it's a space and financial possibility...

Back