Moving Beer Whilst Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if its a bad idea to move my beer while its bottle conditioning? I want to store my beer in a storage unit I have about a 40 min drive from home.

Two reasons for this. 1st: I have very little storage space at home. 2nd: Out of sight, out of mind. If I don't see it, I won't be tempted to drink it before its ready.

So, does anyone know of any problems with moving my beer to the storage unit after bottling, to leave it there for a couple of months? I'm talking within a few days of bottling.

Thanks in advance!

No problem moving the beer. Not a problem even a week or two after bottling. Yeast may get stirred up a bit, but it will finish the same.

Will the temperature of the storage unit be optimum for conditioning? Not overly hot or to cool.

Thanks for the response flars!

I'll probably move it within a few days of bottling. I think the storage unit will have a more constant temp than my flat. I'm not sure what the actual temp in there is but at this time of year I don't think it should be too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My only concern would be that storage units can get very warm inside. They are basically giant metal toaster ovens. Unless your storage unit is temperature controlled, it could get very warm inside.

I was a little concerned of that too but every time I've been there it hasn't been too bad. Also it's autumn so the weather is getting cooler also. I don't bottle for a bit longer yet so maybe I'll throw a thermometer in there and check it occasionally.

Thanks for the help people! It's super appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back