Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moved beer to secondary, should i have used a hydrometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Bates_Foreman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Moved beer to secondary, should i have used a hydrometer?

Moved beer to secondary, should i have used a hydrometer to test the alcohol percentage before i moved it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

You would not be testing for the alcohol level, you would be checking that the fermentation had ended. You need to take 2 gravity readings, one then another 2 days later. If the numbers are the same, fermentation is done. You then have several options. Bottle the beer, transfer to secondary for clearing or leave in primary for clearing.

So, yes you should have taken hydrometer readings. It is not the end of the world though. If fermentation is still occurring it will finish in secondary. This is not optimum but you will get beer. With no other problems it will probably be good beer.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If your looking for an ABV percentage, one measurement before fermentation and one after fermentation is all you need. So if that is what you are trying to figure out, just take a reading when you transfer out of the secondary. If you are bottling, take the final reading before adding priming sugar.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
ChrisJPassarelli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
If your looking for an ABV percentage, one measurement before fermentation and one after fermentation is all you need. So if that is what you are trying to figure out, just take a reading when you transfer out of the secondary. If you are bottling, take the final reading before adding priming sugar.
You might even lose a few more gravity points during conditioning, so right before adding priming sugar is the best time to measure it!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2291 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1713

I don't secondary unless I'm oaking or aging. It'll clear up just fine in primary. At any rate,FG should be reached before any racking.

Quick Reply