Missing mash temps with Beersmith ( Brewing tonight)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
I have been brewing all grain for about a year now but have just recently started using beersmith and have been missed my mash temp the past several batches. I always use two quarts of boiling water to pre heat my mash tun prior to use and have the box for adjusting temp for equipment un-checked. I am planning on brewing a beer today that has 17 pounds of grain and beersmith has me mashing in at 165 to hit 153. I just don't think this is correct and am pretty sure that I will miss my mash temp again if I use 165 as my water temp. Can anyone me help me correct this issue??? I really have no idea of what is going wrong but I'm almost positive that with 17 pounds of grain I will miss my mash temp by several degrees if I only have the water 12 degrees hotter than what I need. Thanks for your help!!

It's actually not too difficult to hit very very close every time.

First of all, I setup my equipment (Igloo Coolers) to have a specific heat of .4, so that it would give me a higher temp than needed.

Once I pour the strike water into the Mash Tun, I put the lid on and let it sit for at least 5 minutes.

Next I go into Beer Smith and UNCHECK the box that says "Adjust Temp for Equipment". Once you uncheck that box, you'll notice that the temperature in the mash description box will change to show your target Strike Water temperature that it needs to be, based on the pounds of grains and the temp of your grains.

All you gotta do is wait till the water in the Mash Tun cools down and hits that strike temp, then stir in your grains. Super easy. I usually add my grains when the temp is .5-1 degree high, then I just stir a bunch until it reaches desired temp. It works every single time.

I used to fret over getting the perfect temps, but I discovered it's much easier to just uncheck the "Adjust Temp for Equip" box after I've added water to the Mash Tun. Much, much easier and more accurate.

Mine changes by almost 5 °F. Did you check your equipment profile? BS is confusing in a lot of things. You have to change the profile that you selected for your recipe on the Design "tab" of that recipe, not in the "Profiles" tab on top. Otherwise it will change the general profile but it doesn't affect recipes that are using an equipment profile already. Does that make sense?

You should still read the tips in the link I sent. It's a list of empirical steps that you can follow to get your temps right.

I'm actually in class right now but when I get out I'm going to read over the link and hopefully I can figure it out. @eltorrente I agree with you in that BS is very confusing and since starting to use it I have started missing my temps more often than before haha

Back