Max kettle size for gas stove top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
I have a gas stove top with a "high output burner" capable of 11000 BTU/150F degree simmer. I'm wondering if this is capable of boiling a full batch in a 32 quart stock pot. Thanks.

Fill it with water and find out. If you can get a rolling boil, it will boil wurt just as well.

The reason I asked is because I'm in the market for a stock pot but didn't want to buy a 32 quart if I'm not be able to boil water with it.

Its more about the amount of water you can boil in the pot. I would guess you can boil 3 gallons or so just fine. It may take a while but it will do it.

the bigger the better...you can always get a turkey fryer to boil with...and usually they come with a good sized pot already.

Hmm... good point.

I'd run that test myself, having both a 32 quart pot and a high output burner on my gas stove. It's one of the reasons I got the gas stove in the new house...

Unfortunately, I can't squeeze the pot between the stove and the hood. :confused: I guess I should have checked that before I got the stove.

But the wife got me a turkey fryer burner for Yule, so after a 6 month brewing hiatus, I'll be back in business shortly. :tank:

I was able to get 6 gallons of wort to boil on my gas stove. It took a while, but it did it. The pot was straddled over 2 burners.

Hmm... good point.

I'd run that test myself, having both a 32 quart pot and a high output burner on my gas stove. It's one of the reasons I got the gas stove in the new house...

Unfortunately, I can't squeeze the pot between the stove and the hood. :confused: I guess I should have checked that before I got the stove.

But the wife got me a turkey fryer burner for Yule, so after a 6 month brewing hiatus, I'll be back in business shortly. :tank:

You brought up a good point about measuring. I should have ample room for the 32 quart stock pot that I'm looking at. It is only 14" in diameter and 14" tall.

My stove has a 15,000 BTU burner and I got 5 gallons to boil in a 7.5 gallon pot. I kept it covered as it heated and it still took an hour to reach a boil with tap water. I went out the next week and bought a turkey burner, it is just so much easier.

I can boil 9 gallons on my stove top. Just did it yesterday. I do straddle two burners with it.

Back