Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooster_442

Reaction score
I forgot to add the LME and the DME and added the magnum and boiled for 30 min. Then I added the malts. Is it going to be ok? I am thinking I still should boil for the amount of time?

I forgot to add the LME and the DME and added the magnum and boiled for 30 min. Then I added the malts. Is it going to be ok? I am thinking I still should boil for the amount of time?

You only need to boil the hops as long as the recipe says. It's common to add the LME even at the end of the boil, at flame out, as extract has already been boiled and it's not necessary to boil it at all actually.

If the magnum is to be boiled for 60 minutes, you can stop your boil at the end of 60 minutes regardless of when you added the extract.

Was there anything in there besides water and hops?
Sounds like you inadvertently did a late extract addition which is a pretty common technique. Usually it's done by adding 1/3 of the extract at the start and the remainder within the last 5 minutes. So, nope you probably didn't do any big booboo.
And yes, keep to your regular boil time.

Ya I am making a chocolate milk stout. I had to steep. I just skipped the malts. So I am all good?

Yooper you have answered so many of my questions on here I really do appreciate it!!!! And everyone else that has helped me along my rookie training of home brew!

I did boil it for about 25 min longer then I needed to before I read what you guys said anything

Back