That last bit of sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanky_t

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have done a few brews now and am finally getting consistently good tasty beer. But I have one question my beers are generally very clear but I still get a small amount of sediment at the bottom of each bottle which when I drink the beer usually means if I'm not paying attention when I pour it I get a clowdy beer as I pour the sediment back into the beer (hope you know what I mean). I recently did a cider as well and it looked really clear already when I bottled it but I am still getting that bit of sediment at the bottom of each bottle. Is this sediment still likely to be from my original brew or is it a result of the bottle conditioning and the sugar added then? Is there a way of removing it or is it just a case of getting used to not trying to squeeze every last drop out of the bottle.

Totally normal when bottle conditioning. You'll see the same thing on the bottom of Sierra Nevada Pale for the same reason. Be thankful for it, it's the yeast that carbonated your beer for you ;) It's nothing to worry about at all, just pour gently and leave a little beer in the bottle (very little) to avoid drinking the yeast.

That's little bit left in the bottom is the Beer Gods portion. It's what you sacrifice for future great batches.

How long do you typically refrigerate your beers before drinking? I have much more compact (and therefore stationary) yeast layers when I leave my brews in the fridge for 2-3 days before I pour them. Almost all the yeast stays in the bottle, and almost nothing goes in the glass.

Thanks. I can't take credit one of the guys that taught me home brewing told me something along that line. So just sharing the beer zen.

Like everyone else said, it is nothing to worry about. What you may have implied even though no one answered you strightforward: It is the yeast that carbonated your beer settling to the bottom.

CraigTube did a show a couple years back on a gadget called Brodie (sedexbrewing.com) that removed the sediment from the bottle. They are insanely expensive though (like $150 for 30 after shipping). I can live with sediment.

I've had some small commercial brewery beers that were bottle conditioned that has just as much sediment as my homebrew beers. I say its a good thing! LOL

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm just doing my bit for the beer Gods.

You can even use that sediment to harvest more yeast from if there is a specific microbrewery that bottle conditions and uses a type of yeast you would like. IE Rogue with the pacman strain.

Back