Lager on yeast or in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGrieves

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing a lager. The beer is a helles lager with approximately 20% smoked malt. My target FG was 1.014. It is at 1.018 now and I am raising the temp to 58 for a diacytl rest.

When this is done I want to lager for a month.

Question: Should I rack to secondary or lager on top of the yeast. I'm worried the yeast won't let it clear and could turn. However, I'm worried about oxidation if I rack to secondary since I wouldn't be purging the second carboy.

Which would you do?

For lagers, I always rack to get the beer off of the yeast before lagering. Yeast character is very out of place in a lager, which should be "clean" and crisp without any yeast character.

Definitely rack to secondary. Just make sure that the outlet from your racking cane is right at the bottom of the secondary. This will minimize the oxygen absorbed during the racking process, , but the racking process itself will disturb the beer sufficiently to cause a certain amount of off-gassing, which will replace any air in the secondary with CO2.

-a.

Back