Lager in a cold garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trn

Reaction score
I threw a min-max thermometer in my garage - it ranges between 34 degrees and 47 degrees. I realize it's a risk to assume I won't get a heat wave, but assuming I don't, is this temperature range good enough to try a lager? If I do get higher ambient temps, will a wet towel help at all or will my batch be ruined?

I don't think the batch would be ruined.
It is getting close to spring so consider how long these temps might last.
I wouldn't use a wet towel but it is a good idea to try to stabile the temp.
Perhaps you could find a box or cabinet to put it in.
I use a porch that is insulated but not heated so I think a garage. Could work.
Good luck

I just finished fermenting a lager in my bulkhead here in MA. I started in November and even though we had some warmer days, they never lasted long enough to really raise the temperature in the secondary. Not sure about Oregon, but my bukhead temps will probably get above 50 degrees in the next two weeks so you might just want to consider the length of time you will do it.

If you are planning some brews for next year, brew some lagers around Thanksgiving and let them ride out the winter. They will do great in the garage!

If you are planning some brews for next year, brew some lagers around Thanksgiving and let them ride out the winter. They will do great in the garage!

Agreed. It's too close to spring. But, at least I have things to look forward to next winter.

Latest posts

Back