Kegging - Prime or Force Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyclef

Reaction score
Hey, new to kegging... and homebrewing in general... and building kegerators so I'm going through a crash course here... wondering what the advantages and disadvantages to the 3 different versions of carbonation that I'm aware of... 1. dump some sugar in the keg to prime it... 2. force carbonate by rolling the keg on the floor with 40psi of co2 pumping into the keg... and 3. carbonate for a few days in the fridge at 10-30psi??/// help me out here haaa

You'll get 10 different answers.

I don't like to use priming sugars as I seem to always taste it in my beer. Whether this is all in my head I don't know.

I like to set and forget. That seems to be the best way for me if I have the time. Set it to 12 psi and let it sit for 10-14 days. I will also set to a higher PSI and let it sit for about a week. Force carbing works ok but ideally one will have a solid pipeline and not have to carb beer overnight.

1. I don't think there is any advantage to naturally carbing kegs. To me it's error prone and another chance to get bacteria in your beer.

2. The only downside to force carbing is you can screw it up. If you leave the pressure on too high for too long your beer will come out as pure foam. You can fix it but you'll waste a bunch of beer. Once you get the hang of it it works fine.

3. This one is totally idiot proof but takes a couple weeks.

1. I don't think there is any advantage to naturally carbing kegs. To me it's error prone and another chance to get bacteria in your beer.

Agreed, except space can be an issue. I naturally carb dark beers when I don't have any more room for kegs in the fridge.

ok, so #3 it is unless armageddon is in less than 24hrs... so, what PSI and Duration do I set it and wait... 10-14 days makes me antsy can we set it at like 20psi or 30psi and be drinkin in a few days?

Just set it to the appropriate psi for your beer. Really just about any beer is good at 12 psi. 10 to 14 days to fully carbonate and settle. Since you're probably cold conditioning anyway, these take place simultaneously.

There are charts that tell you what to set your PSI to. A good safe number would be like, 10-12. Usually a recipe will say "carbonate to 2 (or whatever) volumes". You look at the chart and see what PSI it takes to reach 2 volumes at your fridge's temperature.

Just google beer carbonation chart.

nice, i like that... conditioning and carbonating simultaneously. anything to streamline the process and avoid bacteria problems sounds good to me... so can i skip the secondary?

10-14 days @ 12psi= good beer
21 days @ 12psi= better beer
30 days @ 12psi= really good clear beer

0-30 days of natural carbed and kegged beer=not as clear as it could be and for my taste, not as clean tasting as the above beers.

As the first replier mentioned, you will get lots of different answers on this one.

Personally, I like to prime with sugar (really no bacteria risk as, like with bottling, you are boiling the sugar in some water prior to adding to the keg). This allows me to free up fridge space by having the kegs carbonate and condition in a different location. I also have not had any issues with clarity.

so the extra time won't over carbonate the beer?

10-14 days @ 12psi= good beer
21 days @ 12psi= better beer
30 days @ 12psi= really good clear beer

0-30 days of natural carbed and kegged beer=not as clear as it could be and for my taste, not as clean tasting as the above beers.

Personally, I like to prime with sugar (really no bacteria risk as, like with bottling, you are boiling the sugar in some water prior to adding to the keg). This allows me to free up fridge space by having the kegs carbonate and condition in a different location. I also have not had any issues with clarity.

So, how does this work? Do you not even have to hook the naturally carbed keg up to the CO2 tank at all? (This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not yet kegging, just considering making the move, so I'm trying to picture the whole process).

nice... thx for the info. i will surely be back for more once i've got some more stuff together and ready to go!!!!

So, how does this work? Do you not even have to hook the naturally carbed keg up to the CO2 tank at all? (This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not yet kegging, just considering making the move, so I'm trying to picture the whole process).

Not dumb at all. I had to read to learn about it prior to kegging myself. To naturally carb a keg, you boil the priming sugar/water mixture and let cool. Then you add it to the keg, siphon the beer into the keg and seal it up. You then pressurize the keg to 30 psi. This adds enough pressure to ensure a nice tight seal on the keg. Then you stick the keg in a corner for a week or a month or for however long you need it to sit.

Not trying to hijack this thread. But I tried naturally carbing my last beer after a week hooked it up to the co2 left it a few days and its not good yet so I'm wondering can I take it back out and put it in the closet a few more weeks? Will it still carb up?

Not trying to hijack this thread. But I tried naturally carbing my last beer after a week hooked it up to the co2 left it a few days and its not good yet so I'm wondering can I take it back out and put it in the closet a few more weeks? Will it still carb up?

It should.

So ... you can prime and push CO2 at the same time? What happens if you prime and push 10-12 PSI? I would like to add malt-extract instead of sugar to give a maltier taste.

So ... you can prime and push CO2 at the same time? What happens if you prime and push 10-12 PSI? I would like to add malt-extract instead of sugar to give a maltier taste.

Well...you can. You won't get good results. Likely the priming sugar won't ferment since the yeast is too cold. So, after a week or so, you'll have carbonated beer that is slightly sweeter. If you were to take it out of the fridge you'll have over-carbonated beer in 1-3 weeks.

If you prime your keg, you do it just like you would your bottling bucket except you use about half the amount of sugar (there are calculators out there). Then you pressurize it to 30psi or so, take it OFF THE GAS, and let it for a couple weeks at room temperature (just like bottles).

I prime my kegs because I like to age my beer and, if I'm going to let it sit at room temperature, it might as well get carbonated while it sits. Force carbing green beer makes for perfectly carbonated green beer. I find the carbonation is usually too low, but that is fixed easily once you hook it up to the gas.

so is priming your kegs merely for the convenience of not being able to fit all your kegs in the fridge at once and you can have kegs carbonating in line to go in the fridge????

3-Day Method
Don't know why this is never discussed but this how I learned and it seems to work perfectly...two batches now both perfect carbonation.

Day 1 - set keg (full of new beer) in fridge to reduce the temps down - if your beer is already at fridge temps - skip this step.
Day 2-3 - adjust regulator on co2 to 30psi. turn the co2 on - let sit on 30 psi for exactly two days or 48 hours.
Day 4 - remove co2 from keg - purge co2 from the keg - reset the regulator for 12psi - now let it sit for 1 day and that is it.... you can probably grab you a cold beer at this point if you are eager - it wont hurt anything and will probably be carbed already.

I have noticed that the carb seems to get better over the next few days but not by much. I don't know about the clear part - my beer tastes good so I really don't care about the clarity at this point.

do you use a secondary though? i think the additional time that was discussed here was trying to combine the conditioning and carbing simulataneously...

3-Day Method
Don't know why this is never discussed but this how I learned and it seems to work perfectly...two batches now both perfect carbonation.

Day 1 - set keg (full of new beer) in fridge to reduce the temps down - if your beer is already at fridge temps - skip this step.
Day 2-3 - adjust regulator on co2 to 30psi. turn the co2 on - let sit on 30 psi for exactly two days or 48 hours.
Day 4 - remove co2 from keg - purge co2 from the keg - reset the regulator for 12psi - now let it sit for 1 day and that is it.... you can probably grab you a cold beer at this point if you are eager - it wont hurt anything and will probably be carbed already.

I have noticed that the carb seems to get better over the next few days but not by much. I don't know about the clear part - my beer tastes good so I really don't care about the clarity at this point.

do you use a secondary though? i think the additional time that was discussed here was trying to combine the conditioning and carbing simulataneously...

Force carbing your beer in less than a week doesn't give it much time to clear up. As BrewFrisco mentioned, he doesn't wait for clarity so the "conditioning" is unnecessary. He may have already let it sit for an extra long time in the primary or even used a secondary (though if kegging, using a secondary fermentation chamber would be redundant).

Also, some beers just don't need much time to condition. I like two weeks of cold conditioning but that's just me. It's not crucial and most of the time it will be OK without it.

I just kegged my Oatmeal Stout and it is sitting on 30psi right now. This beer has been sitting the the secondary for a few weeks now.

It is a real dark beer so it doesn't need to be clarified (although it is fairly translucent anyhow).

I am just impatient but not to the extent of 'Force Carbing' 3 - 4 days and I am drinking beer. Hell - I will pull wort out before that and drink flat!

nice, i like that... conditioning and carbonating simultaneously. anything to streamline the process and avoid bacteria problems sounds good to me... so can i skip the secondary?

Nothing wrong with skipping secondary.

I won't prime because I prefer my beer without sediment or yeast. I like to condition my kegged beer at room temperature (65F in my basement) for 2 to 3 weeks. I either hit them daily w/25lbs CO2 or leave them hooked up. Then when I put them in the keezer and get them to temp they are ready to drink.

Back